Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
All LISP facilities close on Monday, and perhaps beyond.
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests
Post All LISP facilities close on Monday, and perhaps beyond. Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:36 pm
Tom Donovan
I have been informed that all LISP facilities are closed on Monday, 8/29/11. No decision has been made regarding Tuesday, 8/30. I have been informed that if any lifeguard would like to help with clean up at any of the parks, they will be put on the books, and you will be expected to help clean up. I am not recommending this option, but as we are not being paid for not working, those that wish to work, the option is available for you. My cell phone was water damaged in the storm, so I will do the best I can to communicate. Further info as it is available. I hope everyone and their families and friends are safe.

Tom Donovan
Post Re: All LISP facilities close on Monday, and perhaps beyond. Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 am
James Rooney
Cleanup? What about setting up the beaches and protecting the public?

There is a lot of work for lifeguards securing shacks and getting the beaches ready for the public. If and when the parks reopen for business the Lifeguards need time to get their beaches ready

Any word on what our Lifeguard Water Safety Directors are doing?

Joe Scalise and Stve Aggostinacchio?
Post Re: All LISP facilities close on Monday, and perhaps beyond. Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:49 am
Tom Donovan
I have issued these recommended guidelines:

1. Those scheduled to work on Monday should report to work and attempt to sign in. If refused entry, please politely and legally attempt to contact a park supervisor and sign in.
2. Keep a record of who you spoke to, etc.
3. It is not recommended to work out of title, ie: sweeping,etc.
4. It is management's job to inform you as to whether you are working or not.
5.Let your union beach rep. know if management has actually contacted you.

I understand the beaches are barricaded off, so it is not possible to follow some of the above. I am attempting to establish a chain of events so we can pursue this via other means.
Post Re: All LISP facilities close on Monday, and perhaps beyond. Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 am
Tom Donovan
I have been informed that some of the beaches are being opened to lifeguards. Some out of title work might be occurring, and we are working on that issue.
Post Re: All LISP facilities close on Monday, and perhaps beyond. Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 pm
santiago
i actually signed in today for 3 hours. me and 5 others on my crew.

i guess three feet of water came into the shack. it was trashed. we cleaned...really we threw shit out.
after two hours i was pissed!
before the storm, the shack is falling apart, there is mold every where, the cement at the base crumbles away, the wooden roof is rotting and im sitting there cleaning it?

then on top of it, we cant go into the water?

so what, tomorrow we go in and do what?
can we take the stands?
or are we supposed to sweep the boardwalk?
should i bring my work gloves?
my manual labor rate is 20$ per hour...
Post Re: All LISP facilities close on Monday, and perhaps beyond. Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 am
James Rooney
The East Bath Shack is the same style and should have either been replaced or renovated years ago. Built in circa 1940 those two shacks are historic structures but over 70 years old. Time to be updated or replaced, the West Bath Pool got an Air Conditioned trailer which could serve as a temporary structure.

On saturday we had 4 Captains and plenty of Jones Beach Lifeguard personell because Robert Moses was closed.

Now Jones Beach is Closed so why aren't Jones Beach Lifeguards being redeployed to Robert Moses?
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic