Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Union Membership?
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests
Post Union Membership? Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:23 pm
James Rooney
Hey I signed up into the Union at the rehire filling out my papers and handing them to Peter Martinau but do we recieve any acknowledgement of being a member?

Do we get a membership card or a membership package?

Any newsletters?

I know last year I was told since I furloughed and wasn't on the payroll and generating a pay check I couldn't be a member, but this year I allready have generated several paychecks. Any info on how to get my membership card?

Who do I contact?
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:03 pm
Dennis Kane
Jim, come to the BRA. You'll get answers and pizza too...
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:59 pm
James Rooney
Sounds good Dennis, but instead of pizza I'd like to get my ballot for the upcoming election.

If I signed up in May and I need to get the ballot in by August 25th and they were mailed out to registered members......Then WHY haven't I gotten mine?
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:59 pm
Dennis Kane
Call NYSUT Membership in Albany at 1 800 342 9810, x 6223, and explain your situation. Be certain to mention the 8/25 deadline.
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:42 am
James Rooney
Maybe word should be put out to NYSUT that our members aren't being registered and notified of the upcoming Elections?

Any other Jones Beach Lifeguards out there that have not recieved their Ballots?

NYSUT number is also (518)213-6000.
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 pm
Dennis Kane
Jim,
What you did not receive was a self-nomination form. This is to nominate yourself to run for a NYSLC Delegate or Executive Board position. It's not a ballot. Election ballots will be sent to registered members once candidates have been established.

We have been individually advising members to contact NYSUT directly. We have no control over their mailing list.

The deadline is mentioned in the "Recognition Now!" issue of the B+B, along with the phone number. And of course, it has been mentioned on this website.
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:15 pm
James Rooney
That's good Dennis, but as I posted initially:

I signed up at the Rehire directly with Peter Martinaeu and I was wondering why I hadn't recieved a membership card?

Is there a master list of members?

Who has it for this year?

I know a book was circulating at BRA meetings last Winter and a large portion of our Jones Beach membership weren't registered members. If I filled out the membership form in May at the rehire test and personally handed it to the UUP president then why am I not a member?

Sounds a little Fishy to me, particularly after getting screwed out of membership last summer after taking the rehire test and furloughing to help my brother & sister lifeguards.

What's our current NYSLA president Bruce Meirowitz think?

As an Executive Board member of a 1,200 member local in UUP, are you telling me you have no idea of who your members are or how to contact any of them?
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:25 pm
James Rooney
Fellow Lifeguards I made a few phone calls and got the straight scoop on the self nomination form and membership status:

Call the number 1-800-342-8910 and use ;

extension X6223 in order to get someone in membership who can determine if they have your address and your membership form and can mail you out a membership card if you haven't recieved one. They don't handle the self nomination form for the upcoming NY State Lifeguard Association elections. For that you need to call and use:

extension X617 and ask for Kristin in UUP who can mail you out the Self Nomination Form which needs to be returned by August 25th about two weeks away!

The election positions from last Octobers Elections are;

President Bruce Meirowitz 87 votes

1st V president Tom Donovan 87 votes

2nd V president Dennis Kane 69 votes

Secretary Bob Adler 80 votes

Treasurer John Weber 86 votes

The Long Island Delegates 8 of them are:

Joe Clerici 38 votes

Greg Quinlan 29 votes

Bob Adler 9 votes

Rich Malen 2 votes

Mark Davy 1 vote

Cary Epstein 1 vote

Paul Lundwall 1 vote

Bryan Donovan 1 vote
Post Re: Union Membership? Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:31 am
James Rooney
THE BALLOTS ARE OUT!

I hope everyone that wanted to run was able to?

The two contested Executive Board positions are:

2nd Vice President;

Dennis Kane

Ryan Clark

Tim Forsyth

Treasurer;

James Rooney

John Weber

GOOD LUCK !

The other Executive Board positions are running unnopposed!
The president Bruce Meirowitz.
1st vice president Tom Donovan.
Treasurer Bob Adler.
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic