Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
How Much does a Co-Ordinator make?
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests
Post How Much does a Co-Ordinator make? Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 am
James Rooney
Hey isn't the world wide web Great!

I was always curious how much the Water Safety Director earned for that very important job and recently found a free public searchable database where you can actually look it up.

<http://seethroughny.net/Payrolls/EmployeeSearch/tabid/69/Default.aspx>

There is also a searchable database to look up New York State pensions too!

<http://www.newsdayinteractive.com/community/teacherpensions.php>

Pretty neat!

They have Joseph A. Scalise earning $30,002 Year to Date in 2008 at a $36 per hour pay rate in his job as the Water Safety Director.

You can also look up and find that Joseph A. Scalise is drawing a $42,375.24 pension from the Long Island State Park and Recreation Region as well as his $113,639 pension from the New York State Teachers Retirement System it adds up to a grand total of $ 186,016.24 for 2008!

Do you think maybe NYSUT will finally be able to get us a pay raise and retro pay?

Maybe now you can see WHY NY State needed to close Field One and West End Two?

Someone has to come up with ALL that $$$$$$ to compensate the outrageous Water Safety Office salaries and pensons?????

I guess they made one small cut letting Ron Harris go, and then cutting about 50 lifeguard salaries. What is the NYSUT response?

The assistant Water Safety Director Steven Agostinacchio is making a little less than Joe @ $32 an hour and he only made $24,275 for 2008.

Maybe they could increase Steve's hours and get rid of Joe? Any ideas out there? What would Bob Lenti say? Last edited by James Rooney on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Re: How Much does a Co-Ordinator make? Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:13 am
James Rooney
I wonder how much Joe Scalise earned for his 4 or 5 days presiding over the recent hearings held last October over those serious Lifeguard infractions from last summer?

At $36 an hour he was making $288 a day to decide if a sleeping lifeguard should be punished from a field running 400 plus rescues a day and 4,000 to 5,000 rescues for the year?

How about holding a birthday party for a lifeguard child and having cake and a six foot hero? That should be seriously punished? Maybe spend a few thousand dollars of tax-payer money deciding the amount of money the lifeguards involved should have to forfeit?

Maybe even fire or demote the Captain in charge? The same Captain who was running 400 rescues a day and 4,000 to 5,000 rescues for the season with-out a loss of life?

What was it that Joann Wright said at the early season Labor-management meeting concerning handling problems in house?
Post Re: How Much does a Co-Ordinator make? Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:57 pm
Ryan Clark
Rooney I am glad to see you back on the Forum. I have missed all of your insights and thoughtful questions. I wonder why the coordinators are paid at such a high rate when they are not the water safety experts that truly run the beach. I think we should find out what the nice payroll girls make and double that for Joe and Steve as that is much more representative of what they actually contribute.
Post Re: How Much does a Co-Ordinator make? Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 pm
James Rooney
I think as Upper Management Joe and Steve should come up with a better way to utilize the highest paid lifeguard water safety experts the Lifeguard Captains. They have men with 30 to 50 years of experience on the beach making $23 an hour and earning between $18,000 to $19,000 for the summer and All they really function as is an extra officer on an allready well supervised beach.

13 Lifeguard Captains, 7 at Jones Beach, 3 at Robert Moses, and one each at Heckscher, Sunken Meadow and Hither Hills.

A beach can be run with a Lieutenant in charge and three Boatswains. Weekly Schedules and Daily schedules can be completed, and the day to day shift operation of the beach can be covered. The Captains as they are used now are totally wasted?

The Lieutenant cannot really lead his beach because most have a Captain acting as the top ranking officer. Eddie Peters, Arnie Norman, Bob Burkley, and Joe Caselli have much more experiance and knowledge of running the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps, yet all they do is function as an extra Officer.

All you need to do is look at the issues that the Water Safety Office chose to pursue in disciplinary hearings this past summer. Childrens birthday parties in the shack and lifeguards resting on their hour down.

Are you ever allowed to close your eyes and rest after a busy hour of watching the water and running rescues?

How about properly staffing the beaches?

I think Joe Scalise is only concerned with coming up with discipline issues so he can log enough extra hours in the off-season to reach his $30,000 salary cap. He can then get laid off and collect unemployment for the rest of the year!
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic