Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Seniority 09
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests
Post Seniority 09 Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:22 pm
Where is seniority list for 09. It should have been posted long ago.

People need to know where they stand this year.

The EB must know something about how these cuts will be carried out. Also, If they have been meeting with state officials, why is there never any new news?

Someone must know something about how the cuts will be carried out. No one who "might" know is telling us. Sounds like the old executive boards - "We're working on it"
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:18 pm
Matt;
The seniority list for 2009 is the same as 2008, just add a year if you worked?
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Matt;
The guy to talk to about Seniority is our Seniority King Big Jim Durico, he's the chair of the seniority committee along with Dave Spence and Frank Salino. Those three lifeguards should be able to answer any seniority questions you may have. I think alot of questions should be settled by next weeks rehire procedure. I know the Executive Board is ironing out the issues concerning possible CUTS, the magic # is 56 as in 56 effected spots.
Keep informed and read the B&B, and remember Who Watches the watchman?
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:35 pm
Jim, Matt,

The Seniority Committee is made up of Dave Spence, Jim DiRico, Matt Lindbaum, Jay O'Donnell and myself. We have met with the executive board a few times and given our input in regards to what has been done in the past (with added information from Jay Lieberfarb), what we think our rules currently state, and what may be done in the future to cover an event like we face this year. We did not make any decisions because we are not chartered to do so-we just advise and make suggestions to the executive board. It is not an easy decision to make and I hope that everyone will understand that there is no decision that can be made that will not hurt some members of the lifeguard corps. I only hope that the executive board makes a decision based on the best interests of all the membership.

I know that the executive board has also sought council from NYSUT/UUP legal and is waiting to see if the rally, local politicians and the letter writing campaign that ALL THE JONES BEACH LIFEGUARD CORPS has been sending to Albany, local elected officials and the Parks department has any effect. I hope both of you have sent your written requests to keep the beaches open- I have sent out more than 20 letters so far. You should encourage all your pals, co-workers and family to do the same.

This is a tragic situation that can be helped if we-as a CORPS- put our resources and numbers to use. We all know many who are regular patrons of our parks-we should be encouraging them to help keep the beaches open and SAFE. In these tough economic times, I predict the beaches will be used heavily. The problem of compacting patrons into less facilities with less lifeguards and fewer hours and days of operation is insane. Not only are West End I, Field I and East Bath Pool short changed-we keep forgetting that they are also closing the pool at Heckscher a month earlier and shortening the schedule at Zach's bay too. We also do not know how many facilities will need to be shut early because of fund running out. We know the State has made decisions based on some formula that they predict-but what if we have a long heat wave, use more overtime, emergency situations can arise at a moments notice and parks might not have a budget to cover these expenditures. The cuts might become deeper and more dangerous as the year progresses.

Both of you are very vocal and active players in this arena-please use your energy to help keep the beaches open and safe by contacting everyone that you can to urge our political representatives to act, and also to contact the parks department both on Long Island and in Albany to use better judgement and think about safety first.

In solidarity,
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:51 pm
I agree, I am only looking for the list, I know there are a million things that people do for the JBLC. Just trying to get more info because many younger guards ask me since I am relatively new 9 yrs, and many have no idea if they will even have a job.

thanks to boards and commitees for the work they do

Basically my point is that a 3 or 4 yr guard CANNOT be allowed to lose their job just because their facility was cut. The LG 1s must get cut 1st reguardless of whether their facility was cut or not. Seniority must take priority.
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:56 pm
When they close beaches and cut hours should any union members work overtime or extra hours so the state does not lose face when we can not handle the crowds or have rough surf!!! I say no FUCK THEM
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:27 pm
Matt,

As far as I know-no one is being cut yet. The numbers are not in yet, meaning we don't know how many lifeguards are returning this year, how many are taking a medical leave, how many are coming back from medical leave, how many will not pass the rehire, ...you get the idea. If more than the 56 or 57 positions are left open-NO CUTS are needed. If less than the 56/57 positions are open then cuts will be made.

During all of the discussions and many options that were presented to the executive board that I was present for-it was never suggested that displaced guards take the hit. It was always stated that last in- would be first out.
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 am
Good point Kevin, if they open Field One for 3 weekends who's going to staff it?

The actual CUTS are going to be rookies as in NO rookie test, Where are we going to get the future Jones Beach LG corps? I guess there won't be any rookie training to worry about, that will save them some money.
Post Re: Seniority 09 Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 pm
Kevin, I couldn't agree with you more. As soon as we bail out the State by working extra hours and overtime, they'll say "hey, it's working. Now we can do a second round of cuts next summer". I say we do the minimum required of us on the beach. If it gets too crowded and unsafe, close the beach. Have the State drive up and down in their shiny new trucks and call them out of the water.

What's it costing the State every day to have workers at West End 2 turning cars away unless you show them a surfboard, fishing pole, or binoculars? Why are these select group of people allowed to use this beach while everyone else gets turned away? What a waste of money and resources.
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic