Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
NYSCOPBA Agency Fee Refund Schedule
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests
Post NYSCOPBA Agency Fee Refund Schedule Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:01 pm
hogantim
I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago regarding a refund from NYSCOPBA. I've worked at the beach since 2000, and this is the first time I've heard of it, so I asked someone about it. Here's the wording from the letter, and then I'll give my interpretation of it:
"Notification of Dissent: Any person paying an agency fee to NYSCOPBA may annually notify the untion of his/her dissent from the expenditure of any portion of the fee by NYSCOPBA in aid of activities or causes of a political or
The letter goes on with the procedure to regquest this refund. More or less I see this as follows: We pay dues each check to NYSCOPBA. From these dues, the union takes a portion to use for political means- supporting certain political candidates that the union hopes will help them out if elected. If I don't like what they're doing with this money, I can request to get a portion of it back. Here's the thing- we don't know how much we'll get back. As it was explained to me, I may get $10 back, and you may get $20. If someone knows how this is decided, please fill me in. Anyway, here's my theory on this refund as I wrote it to a friend of mine.
b) TIME SENSITIVE ISSUE WITH THIS REFUND. NYSCOPBA is offering us a refund here. You had mentioned that it will be different for everyone- maybe $10 for me, maybe $90 for you. That doesn't matter. It doesn't even matter if it's 50 cents of a refund. Yes, 50 cents seems like an insane amount to be refunded, but do the math. If you get a check that says you're refunded for 50 cents and say f--k it, that's 50 cents of OUR money that goes back into NYSCOPBA's pockets. Multiply that by the number of people (potentially thousands) in the union who may do the same, and we're no longer talking about 50 cents, but alot more money- maybe tens, hundreds, thousands of OUR dollars back into NYSCOPBA's pockets. Realisitcally, thousands of dollars to a union of this magnitude isn't much, but f--k that, it's still thousands of OUR dollars they would get back and then make interest on. So my goal is to tell everyone to file for this refund, no matter how big or small, and cash it. These bastards don't do s--t for us, f--k them, let's take OUR money back

That's just my opinion on the matter. The filing date for the refund is October 15-November 15. If anyone has any more information on this topic, please feel free to share it with the rest of us.
I am going away tomorrow for 2 weeks, so unfortunately I won't be any good if you wanted to ask me questions. Instead contact some of our union representatives and ask them about this. I wanted to put this on Cary's website also, but I have to wait to be registered. If somoene wants to copy and paste this over there, please feel free. The way I see it, the more people that know abuot this, the more may act on it, and the more money we'll get back. BDIDA, Hogan
Post Agency fee reimbursemant Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:23 pm
Those who received the letter from NYSCOPBA are eligable to request a refund for PAC (Political Action Contributions) donations that NYSCOPBA made to politicians. You can elect to not have that part of your dues be donated. If you filled out a yellow card two years ago, or you did not get the letter, you are not eligable to request the refund. Agency lifeguards should get the refund, non-agency guards should not. That is how it was explained to me. Good luck for those appying. Let us know how much you are reimbursed.
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic