Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Ben Von Pentz
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests
Post Ben Von Pentz Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:21 pm
Jus read that Ben has passed away ..is this true?? Way too young!!! Any details please pass along!!
Post Re: Ben Von Pentz Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:20 pm
Unfortunately it is true. Our information is scanty because this just happened, and as such, is subject to correction.

Apparently he went for a jog on the Wantagh Pkwy. jogging path on Sunday. Conjecture is that he died of a massive heart attack / stroke. Since he had no ID on him, the Police took him to the morgue as a John Doe.

He was working as an EMT, and missed work on Monday. Concerned, they kept calling, and finally the pieces got put together yesterday.

His cousin is in charge of any funeral services. We have no information about that, but suspect they will be private. After speaking with TD, it is possible the EMT's and the Corps will have a joint service / ceremony of some form. When we know more, we will pass it on.
Post Re: Ben Von Pentz Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:52 am
To me, Ben always seemed to have an upbeat attitude. I don't have any specific personal stories as I wasn't tight with him, however I do still have the Jones Beach refigerator magnets he used to have made, and gave away for free. Mine are buried somewhere, but those things are damn near "Lifeguard collectible antiques".

For about 4 or 5 years in the late 80's Ben would come up with an idea for a magnet; ie 'Calvin and Hobbs' or a great quote. I think one of them said something like "I'd rather have sand in my shoes, than a dollar in my pocket." It would also say Jones Beach, and the year. Everyone really wanted those magnets he made. I guarantee you that if you go into a handful of lifeguard homes, those magnets are still on the fridge today. And everyone knows they got them from Ben. :)

bvp2.jpg
bvp2.jpg [ 65.41 KiB | Viewed 5009 times ]
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic