Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
CPR Recap 2008
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests
Post CPR Recap 2008 Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:47 am
Admin
CPR Recap (click here)

As 7/10/08, we certified 434 lifeguards. This is our best ever, beating last year’s total of 430. But a few of you fell through the cracks. Here are some of the excuses. “I was a closing boatswain at EBH, and didn’t want to show up late,” (to a class held at WBH). “I went to RM4 instead of RM2.”
But somehow 103 other lifeguards made it to the right place, not counting the 14 instructors. And then there’s my favorite: “I was away.” From June 19 through July 9?
Most of the classes were great, but two were not. It still amazes me that some of you think you don’t need to go through this each year with the rest of us. One guard was outside smoking for 55 minutes of the 70 minute video. Some tried to get me to sign off all the practical stations so they could leave early. Some showed up 30 minutes late, and then complained we were starting late again. They were signed out of the class and not certified.
New York State requires that all its lifeguards get certified every year. We offer 6 classes, in pay status, in three locations, on five days of the week, during a month long time span. We have been doing it this way for 7 years. We post the dates in every shack, on two websites, in every Bucket & Buoy starting at the retest, and hand out the dates at the rehire. NO EXCUSES!
If you got signed out, pay attention next year. If you have a date earlier than 7/11 on your current card, you must get re-certified on your own, because you will have a gap in certification. If you do NOT get certified on your own and try to enroll in our classes next year, you will get caught. The Red Cross has your information computerized, as will I and NY State. Get certified now, and next year take the class with us.
I hope to offer a new instructor training class this summer. It is still being worked out. I want 15 new instructors willing to teach at least three classes each year, who plan on being around for a long time, and live near our training sites (JB, RM, SM). If you are seriously interested, and can attend two long evening or all- day sessions, e-mail me at FASalino with your name, phone, work location, e-mail address, and off-season occupation.
Thanks to all of you!
Be Safe.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 am
FASalino?

Anyone know the full e-mail address?

Thanks
Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:47 pm
Ben;
The Frank Salino contact is <FASalino@aol.com>, I hope your not one of the guards missing CPR??!!!
Good luck; Rooney
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:18 am
Nope, I was interested in the instructor course he talked about.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic