Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Rich Zakar
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests
Post Rich Zakar Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:28 am
Admin
I'm very sad to let you all know that Rich has lost his long battle with brain cancer. He passed away yesterday evening. The wake and funeral will probably be on Tue 1/2/07 and Wed 1/3/07. I will send out more information later today or tomorrow. If the wake is for two days the funeral will be on Thur 1/4/07. I'm sorry to inform you of this on the verge of a new year. Wishing someone a happy and a healthy New Year will probably have some extra meaning this time around.

Please note the days of the wake and funeral have changed slightly.

Stu

WAKE

Giove Funeral Home
640 Middle Country Rd. (Rt 25)
Middle Island, NY
(631) 345-6700

Mon 1/1/07 7:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Tue 1/2/07 2:00 PM -4:00 PM and 7:00 PM - 9:30 PM

FUNERAL

St. Anthony's Church
614 Rt. 25A
Rocky Point, NY
(631) 744-2609

Wed 1/3/07 9:30 AM

Yours truly,

Stu Kaplan
Post Thank You from Gail Zakar Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:49 am
Admin
In speaking with Gail, she was very concerned she would not be able to thank all of the Jones Beach Lifeguards and State employees who took the time to come to Richie's wake, and or funeral. As well as those who contacted her in other ways. She asked me to do so via an e-mail.
To the group of guards from Jones Beach who never really worked with Rich, or even knew him that well, thanks. Our other great friend Billy Burke always said, "Lets do the right thing". You guys did. Gail and the family appreciated it.
To all who knew Rich, but never had the good fortune to work with, or for him (as an officer). Feel fortunate that you did get to know him. At RM II he always wanted to meet people from other beaches. As Boatswain and Lieutenant of RM III, he always welcomed visitors and treated pre and post season guards as if they worked there all year. Just ask Groner and Reynolds. Gail sends all of you her sincere thanks.
To the old RM II crew. Gail was very taken aback by how many of you took the time to pay your respects. We all grew up together down there, and Gail said "It was so nice to see so many good friends". In all honesty, the turnout didn't surprise me in the least.
"Paradise", after the last five years it's amazing we can still call it that. The crew of RM III has been on an emotional roller coaster. Gail wants our little family to know that she appreciates and has a special place in her heart for our entire crew. The visits to the house, trips to the beach, BBQs at the house, sailing trip, and phone calls always put a smile on Richie's face. People do gain strength from support. From Gail, a heartfelt thank you.
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic