Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Alumni Lance Corey Art Exhibit
Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests
Post Alumni Lance Corey Art Exhibit Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:12 pm
Admin
Lance Corey Art Exhibit (click here)
Hey Mike - I retired in 1982 after 16 years. I started in '67 with Tom Donovan, Roy Lester, Paul Lundwall. Spence was my Lt. at the WBHOcean. George Munnich, Andy Burke and I were the Bosuns for most of the time I was there. I worked with Dave and with Bill Foxen. Tim too. Dennis Kane. Podlewski. et.al. Contrary to the revised story of the 1971 strike, it was my father's speech at the OBI to c.450 LGs 6 weeks in that put us over. The mood at the meeting was one of despondency. The older guards we respected like Reggie, Kenny Hunte, Frank Russell, John Pasquale ... were not confident of our winning. There were NYState spies in attendance, to be sure. My father (not a LG) asked if he could speak. He had been a longshoreman in the late 1940s-early 50s.. In the movie Brando walks (staggers) up to "Mr. Upstairs" - My grandfather. But that's another story.
My father, Charlie Corey, started slowly and built up to a crescendo as he pounded his right fist into the palm of his left hand. He advised the guys that before you start a strike you must know what you're getting into. It's WAR! Economic War on the workers, and you don't start unless you're willing to carry it through. He pumped them with enthusiasm and they were roaring when he finished. The spies reported back, and the strike was won/over the next week.

I hope you found this helpful as to who I am. Oh - And I see a lot of clinched fists in the recent crew photos! (I stopped by the crew shacks at JB and RM on Tuesday to let people know about my art show) Tom Donovan and I were among the very first to make that gestural statement w/our fists. We were inspired by the 1968 Olympics.

I've attached a press release from the Art League of Long Island about my exhibit. It's going to be a good show. I hope some of you can make it.

Thanks Mike for posting whatever info. you put on the LG site. And thank you Dave for taking these steps on my behalf.

Lance
Alumni Lance Corey worked for about 12 yrs at JB. He worked with Dave Spence and Dave Foxen at WBHO.

lancecorey.pdf [76.38 KiB]
Downloaded 1013 times
Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic