Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
CPR certification
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests
Post CPR certification Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 pm
keith maca
Hey guys, quick question. I furloughed last year and I was wondering what CPR certification i would need in order to be ready for the season. I know we get two cards, one CPR and is the other AED or something about professional rescuer? What are other people doing in similar situations?
Post Re: CPR certification Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm
Frank Salino
Keith,
You should have come to one of our six classes offered last season so that your certification would be current for the beginning of this season. I strongly encourage all lifeguards who are on sick leave or furloughed for 2011 to keep your certification current by attending one of this seasons classes (dates TBD).

But, back to your issue-you need to get certified in CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer before you can work this season. Check Nassau and Suffolk County American Red Cross Chapter websites for class schedules and information. Because our courses are all dated 7/11, You would not be able to jump into one of the JBLC classes and be covered for the start of the 2011 season.

The American Red Cross has recently updated the data base and the way the instructors enter information into the system. You must have a current certificate to take the course with us because we are giving the 3 hour refresher course and not the 9 hour full course. Only currently valid CPR/AED Pro card holders can take the refresher course.

That means they might make you take the full 9 hour course. They may allow you to take the challenge course (which is approximately 3 hours). That would require you to have or purchase a pocket mask and the most current CPR/AED Pro student manual, pass the written test and perform all the stations with no prompting from the examiner. I do not give the challenge course.

Once you get certified-make sure you jump into one of our six classes this year so that you can get on the correct cycle. Otherwise you will need to take the course on your own every year. Remember the cards issued by me from the JBLC are all dated 7/11 (even if the course is given on a different date). Also do take or pay for the two year certificate-New York State requires that we get certified every year.

Good Luck

Frank Salino
Class of '78
Who Watches the Watchmen
Post Re: CPR certification Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:29 pm
keith maca
Thanks for the help! I wasn't planning on coming back but i changed my mind a few months ago so i didn't go to the summer CPR sessions
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic