Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
The passing of Stephen McGrain
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests
Post The passing of Stephen McGrain Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 pm
Tom Donovan
Stephen McGrain passed away on January 17, 2009 in ICU at NCMC after a long illness. He will be cremated and there will be a beach service sometime in the future, probably this summer. Steve was in fairly good spirits until the end and looked forward to returning to the beach. He began working at JB in 1967 and worked for many years at Field 6. Over time Steve also worked at WE2, WBHP, WBHO, and EBH. Steve will be remembered for his swimming and surfing abilities and for that great smile he always had. He will be missed.
Post Re: The passing of Stephen McGrain Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:05 am
mrvertuccio2
I drove Stephen to the WBHP in 2000 when we both worked there and both lived in Sayville....always had a story to tell to make the drive shorter....may the waves be long and glassy for you!!!
Post Re: The passing of Stephen McGrain Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:49 pm
almcgill
I saw Steve two years ago at 6 and I was so happy to see him healthy and smiling and filled with life. I had heard reports over the years that he was not doing well so to see him robust and enjoying the beach was wonderful. His passing is terrible.
Years ago Steve was always a member of the competition team. I was the "coach" and Steve always made me look good. At one tournament, Marv Levenson approached me and asked if he could talk to me about the assignments. I said, "Sure". Marv asked about my use of Steve. He wanted to know why I wasn't putting him against their best swimmer. I told Marv that this kid was really good and had a great year in college competition. Marv said, "I know, but Steve will beat him." I hesitated. Marv said, "Steve won't lose." "But...", I began and Marv looked at me, "Steve won't lose. He doesn't like to be beat." It was a great race and Steve didn't lose. I don't like that he is not here.
Post Re: The passing of Stephen McGrain Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 pm
Tom Donovan
The JBLC is honored to have had Steve McGrain as a member. Starting in 1967 he proved himself an integral part of the Field 6 team. If you ever found yourself in a hairy rescue situation, you had better hope that Steve was your backup!

Steve and I shared a few houses over the years, so I can honestly tell you that Steve, as well as Eileen and the rest of the McGrain clan, were the nicest people your could ever know.

I will never forget the post Hurricane afternoon when we lived at a house on Jones Inlet in Point Lookout. The surf was a solid 10', and the wind suddenly shifted offshore. The waves were barreling over the jetty and Steve and I took off in a flash to West End 2! The images of Steve dropping into those beautiful overhead peaks on that crazy 6' "Purple Slipper" surfboard of his will forever be embellished in my mind.

I am sure that for all that have met or knew Steve McGrain will remember him in only the most positive terms.

We will all miss Steve.
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic