Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Phil Packard passed away saturday September 5th, 2009
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests
Post Phil Packard passed away saturday September 5th, 2009 Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:17 pm
I recieved sad news today that Phil Packard passed away saturday. Phil was probably our most senior Jones Beach lifeguard alumni, and started as a Jones Beach lifeguard at the East Bathhouse in 1931. Phil would have turned 100 years old this New Years Eve, and worked at Jones Beach for the 1931, 1932, and 1933 seasons. He left after the 1933 season but returned in 1937 and worked 1937, 38, and 39 at the East Overlook which was also known as Field Nine. Phil took a boatswainship in Zachs Bay under Lieutenant Harry Barr in 1940 and 1941, but left after the 1941 season due to his job as an engineer at Grumman. Phil worked as an engineer at Grumman for over 30 years retiring in the 1970's.

A memorial service will be held at the OB Davis Funeral Home 4839 Nesconsett Hwy. in Port Jefferson Station, NY on Tuesday September 8th, 2009 from 11:30 AM till 1:30 PM.
Post Re: Phil Packard passed away saturday September 5th, 2009 Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:11 am
I believe that Phil made a visit to RM5 this summer. A number of our guards made it a point to go and say hello to him. I think it made his day to have so many guards introduce themselves to him and to talk about his days as a lifeguards.
Post Re: Phil Packard passed away saturday September 5th, 2009 Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:30 am
Tom;
Your right, Phil and I spoke in early August and he told me how the "guys" were really earning thier keep with all the rescues being made in heavy surf during his visit to Robert Moses with his daughter and her family. He mentioned having a good conversation with Paul Butler, and enjoyed meeting all the current lifeguards who took the time to say hello.
Phil has given me alot of background on those early Jones Beach lifeguards who worked the beach in the early 1930's. I had a 1934 group shot with all the names. But Phil was able to tell me what schools they swam for and stories about their time on the beach. One guard was Bill Lossee from Garden City. Phil told me Bill had an identical twin brother, and I was able to locate another early Jones Beach guard!
He will be dearly missed; Jim
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic