Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests
Post George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011 Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:59 am
bboehmcke
George Marth RIP : former Lifeguard Lieutenant , Captain and Director passed away on Dec. 26, 2011 .
at Calvary Hospital in the Bronx. George had a 40 year distinguished JB lifeguard career.

His wake is Thursday at Fullerton Funeral Home 769 Merick Road Baldwin NY : Thursday 4pm -8pm . 12/29/11
Funeral Service is 10-45am Friday 12/30 St.Christopher's Church also on Merrick Rd. just west of funeral home .

Fullerton Funeral Home site has his obituary. http://www.fullertonfhny.com..
per site , in lieu of flowers, donations to the Jones Beach Rescue http://www.jonesbeachrescue.org
would be appreciated.

submitted by Bruce Boehmcke ;info. from Jay O'Neal
Post Re: George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011 Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:26 pm
Tom Donovan
George G. Marth, 82, of Baldwin, New York passed peacefully on December 26, 2011. Beloved husband of the late Margaret "Peggy". Loving father of Heather Fiala (Tim). Cherished grandfather of Emily, Thomas and Margaret. Longtime Gym teacher at the Baldwin Junior High School/Middle School. Forty year lifeguard and former Director of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corp. Reposing at the Fullerton Funeral Home, Inc., 769 Merrick Road, Baldwin, New York on Thursday, 12/29/2011 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Mass of Christian Burial on Friday, 12/30/2011 at 10:45 a.m. at St. Christopher's Church in Baldwin. Interment Holy Rood Cemetery in Westbury, New York. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Jones Beach Rescue (jonesbeachrescue.org), would be appreciated
Post George Marth - Fullerton Funeral Home Link Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:28 pm
Tom Donovan
http://www.fullertonfhny.com/obituaries/george-g-marth/
Post Re: George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011 Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:28 pm
Tom Donovan
A former Jones Beach Lifeguard from the 1950s and now a Roman Catholic Priest Monsignor John Heinlein will be conducting the mass at St. Christophers and will attend the wake and the internment. He and his twin brother Joe Heinlein were both JB Lgs.. Joe was the Captain of the Adelphi swim team when Mike Doyle , Charley Swenson, John Goodliff, Eric Piper, myself and about 6 other guys from the team worked as guards at Jones Beach and which is how Charley and I got to the beach. Joe became a navy frogman and was one of the group of naval officers who formed the Navy Seals many years ago. Joe retired from the Navy as a Captain and was in charge of the Navy Seals at the time. Both Joe and John are great people and John was in contact with George in the recent past and George thought very highly of him.
Submitted by Jay Lieberfarb
Post Re: George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:05 am
Tom Donovan
From Alumni Greg Akula:
THANKS for the SAD NEWS of George's passing.
I'd received the news earlier today and was truly sad by it.

But also glad that via earlier email from you to have reached out to George. Which I did on phone call just before Thanksgiving, we spoke for about 5 minutes and I was fortunate that he knew who I was, and was able to wish him a Happy Thanksgiving and the up-coming Christmas Holidays & hoping to visit him on next trip to NYC. We were able to laugh a bit of times past and I was able to express to him my feelings of the Great job he did for the Lifeguard Corp in the Late 60's, 70's and 80's. And reminding him of hiring me in 68' (told him I still thought I was sure I was last one hired if that class ( some 60-70 guards hired) and we laughed - leading me to believe I was, and we laughed again. George was a humanitarian, and A JONES BEACH LIFEGUARD THTOUGH AND TRUE...

I remember George being the force behind what the Lifeguard Corp is today. Being the Director, with the 5 Capitans under him, in the Officer's Schack between FLD 6 & EBH. Working the strike and keeping the focus of what we were to become, walking the picket line with him, Peggy, their daughter Heather and samll band of JBL in Manhattan outside Rockfellers Office.

He was a Great Lifeguard, Capt., Director of the Jones Lifeguard Corp., Teacher, Mentor, father, husband and Good man. He's going to be missed and I believe now he's in a better place.

Going to miss you George Marth and THANK YOU for everything you did for the JBL Corp., Rest in Peace and God Bless You.

"ONCE A JONES BEACH LIFEGUARD - ALWAYS A JONES BEACH LIFEGUARD"
Post Re: George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:12 am
Tom Donovan
From Al McGill:
Just got in from a long flight, with stopover in Phoenix, from San Diego. Wondered if this news would be coming after George's recent fall, and when I saw the number of emails about "Sad" and "George" I didn't have to open them. I haven't had much time to reflect on our loss but I know I am satisfied that these days are ended. As I said before he certainly didn't deserve any suffering.
I know him as an exceptional man. He had a lifetime of responsibility; none of which he shirked in any degree nor ever complained about. He simply went about attending to them.
I wish there could be some beach recognition of his contributions to the corps. I know there was the nice token made by Tom this past summer, but at this moment it doesn't seem enough. It is probably my view and the loss so recently of Bill Cawley and John Messbauer that makes me feel more deeply that an era has ended. A large part of that sense was wrapped up in George and his behind-the-scenes response to the "trials and tribulations' associated with his job as Coordinator. Without any rhetoric he was always the lifeguards' champion. When his morning agenda needed his appearance with Lecinski regarding some lifeguard antics, George saw it as his job to try to smooth the troubled waters and find a punishment that would satisfy
the administrations' hounds without ending in a loss of job or pay. With the admins' view of the expected exemplary conduct of all employees, especially the "wild and disrespectful" lifeguards, George had to satisfy Lescinski and Asheroff's blood lust but also save the "wildman's" job. His handling of those hearings always built my admiration for his work. He not only sold the penalty to the top dogs but made the accused feel some of the weight of the "crime" and the effect the "antics" had on the corps' reputation. The handling put George right up there with Solomon.
You know how I loved Frank and all my years working with him. When he and George worked for Danny Kehoe as "Safety Coordinators" and had to report on "Safety" at the beach, the work included everything from Lifeguard operations to the soda machines' daily functioning. Frank and George had had the long relationship as Lieutenants at EBH and 6 and their years of sharing the weekend coverage at the place where the beaches met with the extended wing stands. They knew and respected each other. I didn't know George as you guys who worked for him did. He always seemed less than the macho charismatic heroic lieutenant who legendarily filled that job in those years from one end of the beach to the other. I must have said something to that effect to Frank one day because he stopped and said very purposefully (which was not usually his manner of talking to me), "Al, George is the toughest guy I know." I must have revealed what that statement meant to me, because Frank said again, "He is the toughest guy down here. You just don't know him."
I got to know him. Frank was right, but none of his toughness was for show or to impress anyone. It was just who he was. Tough and responsible. In doing all that he did for the lifeguards, he never shortchanged those who put him in that seat of leadership.
I know you know his character but I wanted to let you know that I too knew your Lieutenant as something other that the quick witted, acerbic delight that he was in these years after our work as JB lifeguards had ended.
I hope that you can prevail upon Heather and others to consider some early season get together for a guy who embodied all that we find pride in when we call ourselves, Jones Beach lifeguards.

LGF, Al
Post Re: George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:27 pm
Regis McDuffee
Such sad news. I'll always remember George as the true gentleman that he was and as an inspiration to everyone in the Lifeguard Corp. I am truly better off having known him.
Post Re: George Marth RIP : Dec.26,2011 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:45 pm
ktumey
I had the honor of knowing George very early in my years at the beach. I was on the beach 3 years when “The Strike” happened. With my involvement with the union I remember meeting with Jay, Ron, Stan, George and few more during those days in one of the apartments above Mulcahy’s planning the next day’s events. The one constant was the steady hand of George helping us with our battle with the state
I clearly remember walking the picket line in NYC with George attending. Jay & his bullhorn “Sidney Shapiro the Morticians Hero” At night we would meet at Roaringhams in Merrick after a day of walking the picket lines to hear Jay’s updates & listen to Evergreen ( kevin Hayes, Andy Burke, Jack Flex and Kathy Gilmore) and seating next to me ..George & Peggy..Those were the years I got to know George & Peggy..And I was a 3rd year guard.
George knew every guard on the beach..As I became an officer in the union & spent more time with George..I came to the conclusion he must have had a special book with every guard’s picture & name he studied at night. But that was George he firmly loved the beach & the guards that served no under him but with him. His leadership shaped the JB Guards forever. He was the heart of the beach. George set the leadership standard and never forgot he started as a rookie.
About 6 years ago I was back up on the Island in the middle of the week in Mid-May, it was a beautiful day. I stopped by Beck’s Deli in Wantagh (my hometown) drove to the Mall to enjoy lunch & the beach. All at once I looked up to see George walking by..Before I could get a word out there’s George..”Hey Kev how the hell are you!” It must had been over 15 years since we saw each other and for the next 90 minutes it was like we just set up to open the beach.
A few weeks back after Chad Lundwall’s funeral as I headed off the Island I dropped in to see George for a few minutes. I could see his face lite up as I called out his name. George called me by name, for those few moments we spoke of those special days. It was bitter sweet to walkout to the car.
Al you said it all ..George was the guy, a true gentleman but clearly the leader we all would follow into the battle. Many times I would need to walk down to the captain’s shack and I would find George sitting for a brief moment on the sand with the love of his life Peggy. Well George, Peggy & you can sit in those beach chairs and enjoy your time together once again It was a lifelong blessing that I could call George a friend. I will miss you George.
George, Frank’s been looking for you; you’re late for your sit on 1 West
Kevin

Kevin Tumey
Westbath Ocean Retired
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic