Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Ed Keener passed away.
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests
Post Ed Keener passed away. Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:04 pm
Admin
Dave Spence tells us that Ed passed away 11/21. He was a guard in the 50's and 60's. A memorial will be held next summer. Contact Dave for more info.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Re: Ed Keener passed away. Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:43 am

EDWARD S. KEENER SR.

Ed was born in New York City and had lived on Long Island, Texas, New Jersey and California. His last place of residence was Petaluma, California since December 2009. He was a graduate of Baldwin High School, New York and attended Villanova University, Villanova Pennsylvania. During his years of employment would include P. Lorillard, State of New York (Jones Beach Lifeguards).

He was predeceased by his parents Elmore and Emelia (ne: Zezima) Keener of Freeport, New York. He is survived by his beautiful and loving daughter, Carolyn Rasmussen, her two sons; Michael Barlow and Nicholas Barlow, and her husband Kelly Rasmussen. He is also survived by his son Edward S. Keener Jr. of Jacksonville, Florida and his two children, Jessica and Jake Keener.

Ed was also predeceased by two of his brothers, Elmore Lee Keener of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania and Robert Joseph Keener of West Palm Beach, Florida. He is survived by one brother, Eugene Leslie Keener of Jackson, New Jersey and his family.

I appreciate your help, Gene Keener

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Re: Ed Keener passed away. Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:40 pm
Lieberfarb

Ed Keener was a great person and a really fun guy. He was also a great lifeugard and contributed a lot to the field 6 crew in the 60s and 70s when he worked there. He will be missed.
Jay Lieberfarb

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Re: Ed Keener passed away. Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:38 am
James Rooney

Edward S. Keener started Lifeguarding @ Jones Beach in the summer of 1953 and worked every summer till 1972 except for the summers of 1959 & 1960 due to Military Service. He was a Sr Man in 1968 & 1969 and a Boatswain in 1970, 71, and 72.
Post Re: Ed Keener passed away. Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:37 pm
Admin
James, I worked with your Dad at Field #1, when he was the Boatswain under Reggie Jones. My brother Ed worked at Zachs Bay when he started, from there he went to the West Bath House, to Robert Moses end finished at the East Bath House.

I also attached the picture, Gene Keener

In a message dated 11/30/2010 2:01:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jrooney@suffolk.lib.ny.us writes:

Hi;
I was forwarded the info on Edward Keeners passing and while I didn't know or work with Ed, I have heard stories of him from the other lifeguards. Reggie Jones and Bob Davison are two. My Dad Edwin Rooney worked during the years that Ed was at the beach and probably knew him. I have been gathering material to begin putting together a Lifeguard history of the Beach, so I took the liberty to go down to Babylon and find out what years Ed served as a lifeguard at Jones Beach. I found out he took the test in 1953 and served as a lifeguard every summer from 1953 to 1972 except for 1959 & 1960 when he was in military service. I was wondering if you might know what beaches Ed worked at,
and possibly might have a photo of Ed at the beach?
Regards; James Rooney

ed_keener.jpg
ed_keener.jpg [ 37.97 KiB | Viewed 5517 times ]
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic