Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Bill Listing Memorial & Jack McGetrick passing
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 44 guests
Post Bill Listing Memorial & Jack McGetrick passing Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:52 am
Admin
Hi Tom

We are planning on having a small gathering next Sunday, October 17- at 12:00 PM- field 6. Down at the waters edge.

We will probably say a few words, have a toast, scatter ashes and share some stories...

I'm sorry this is so last minute- Beth

-----------------------------------------------------------
I was informed today that Alumni Jack McGetrick passed away this morning. Jack was a good friend of mine and a superb lifeguard, athlete, husband and father. I will post details when they become available.

-Tom
Post Re: Bill Listing Memorial & Jack McGetrick passing Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:27 pm
Dennis Kane
The time for the Bill Listing Memorial has been changed to Noon. Please come.
Post Re: Bill Listing Memorial Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:24 pm
Tom Donovan
Hey Crew,
Today Sunday September 17, 2010 was a spectacularly beautiful fall day at Field 6, Jones Beach. At noon Dennis Kane, Mike Defina , Jim Rooney, and myself met with Bill Listings family for a memorial service for as it turned out both Bill and his twin sister.

There were approximately 12 people from Bill's family present including sisters, brother, brother-in-law, nephews and nieces. It was a beautiful time. Bill was remembered with many wonderful and humorous thoughts by us all and very much loved by his family. They referred to him as Uncle Bill the Pirate and indeed he truly was. I can't go into details for fear of upsetting certain authorities, but it can be said that he led a life that Errol Flynn the actor of the 40s and 50s would have been envious of. His twin sister died shortly after Bill and their ashes were simultaneously cast into the sea off of field six by his family and friends. It was indeed a very touching ceremony. It was followed with more jocular stories concerning Bill and washed down with excellent Bloody Mary's supplied by his family. In attendance from the beach were Dennis Kane, Arnie Norman, myself, Mike Defina, Dave Spence and his wife Maureen, and Jim Rooney. Bill's sister Beth read a beautiful eulogy and a text was distributed with words from Robert Cornacchia, Jay Lieberfarb, Tim Graham, and others. Tom And Caryn Flannigan were also in attendance, Tom having sailed with Bill in the Caribbean.

Bill lived life on the seas to its utmost and was larger than life, he will be missed.
Jay L.
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic