Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Mike "The Incredible Hulk" Begley
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
Post Mike "The Incredible Hulk" Begley Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:32 pm
Sadly, I have been informed that Mike Begley, aka "The Incredible Hulk" has passed away from kidney failure.
It's my understanding that there will be no wake or funeral.

I am sure those that knew him all have fond and funny memories of Mike. He was probably the ultimate character at the beach.

Some of you may remember the summer that the park police shot a "shark" at Jones Beach. When the bullet riddled Sunfish washed in, Mike alerted the press. The story with the photo of Mike kneeling next to the dead sunfish, and his quote "I'm irate!", was evidently so offensive to the police, that they spent the entire summer unsuccessfully attempting to track him down. This included police stationed at the toll booths, checking cars for this elusive character!!

He worked with me at Central Mall and at West End 2. He even had a special place at West End 2, known as "Hulkie Park".

Another person in our long history has moved on, and he will be missed.

Tom Donovan Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Some memories of "The Hulk" via email 2/1/8 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:39 pm
Mike “The Incredible Hulk” Begley

Some email comments:

My Father , Mother, and I are very sorry to hear the news of "Hulkies" passing!
One of my many memories of Mike, was being woken up by the sound of my fathers VW campers sliding door opening and the sound of Hulkies hand swishing around in "Big Blue" , the pop of the can opening, then the stories of the night before! Mind you this was the parking lot of West End 2, 8 in the morning and I was nine years old!!!!!!
Mike was one my heroes growing up down at West End 2, i will never forget his smile and huge laugh!!!!!
Let us all raise our glasses tonight in memory of one of the best Jones Beach Lifeguards the Corp will ever know!!!!!!!!
Brendan Davison

I am also sorry to hear about the "Hulk's" passing....I have a funny story about him. I didn't know him very well at all. I used to see him in passing and he would always say Roberta...how's it going? I used to tell him over and over that my name was Mo and not Roberta and he would just laugh. Finally after weeks of him calling me Roberta I asked once again why he kept calling me that.....he replied because you look like Robert Redford! It still makes me laugh. And he always called me Roberta.
RIP Mike
Maureen (McLoughlin) Glenday aka Roberta

What sad news. I had worked with Mike at web 1 throughout the 70s. He was one of the funniest guys I have ever known. His antics still make me laugh today. May his soul finally rest in peace.
When the shock of his passing has worn off, hopefully the image of the Hulk hurling himself from the high board in the East Bath pool and his full and total body laugh will be the memories that stay with all of us who have known THE HULK.
Bob Lenti

This tale may be well known for it certainly contributed to his legend and is consistent with the demeanor that made him so likeable - even when his conduct gave the administration basis for their accusations that lifeguards too often were more trouble than they were worth.
Mike had come to the co-ordinator's office on some charge. He entered, his size emphasizing how small the 'office' was, and George told him to sit down. Looking, from expression through body language, like a kid caught doing some little kid offense, he shuffled to the chair and sat down. George spoke to him. He reminded Mike of his history which had brought him close to reprimands a number of times in the recent past. George didn't rant but did go into detail about these occasions and how they gave the whole corps a problem. Mike's head sank lower on his chest as the list's details were laid out before him. He was a picture of regret. George told him the penalty that had to be given and then asked Mike if he had anything he wanted to say. Mike sat up a little bit, put his hands on his knees and said, without a smile on his face, "I guess it's Miller time."
George looked at him for ten seconds and then started to smile. The smile grew to a laugh. Mike smiled and George said, "Get the hell out of here."
Mike said, "Thanks, George. Sorry." And he was out of the office.
He was a lovely guy.
Al McGill

Very sorry to hear of Mike's passing away.
He and I were rookies at Field 1 in the summer of 66 and had many great times together-lots of wing stand time and flats clearing together--very funny and upbeat guy--always a pleasure to work with. He drove an old Volkswagen Beetle and just as we were hired, for several days we would train at RM and then go to our fields in the afternoon--several times he drove me to Field 1--never stopped laughing all the way there!
I can't remember exactly which came first his name the Incredible Hulk or the sweatshirt he wore that said "Here comes the Incredible Hulk" I think the sweatshirt and his size led to the name
He will be missed!
Rest in Peace Hulk
Bob Donnelly
AKA Purity
AKA Grease

It was sad to hear about Mike’s death though; I haven’t seen him since those days at the Central Mall. One very funny incident that I recall is when Mike intentionally fell backwards on a bed of fresh flowers just planted by the “greenies” at the entrance to the Mall and, laid there on his back for what seemed like 20 minutes. Though it was probably only a very short time, as the park workers were infuriated and looking for the police.
It seemed Mike was is own worst enemy and couldn’t get out from under his addiction to alcohol. A good soul nevertheless.
Keith Fox

The Hulk will always live fondly in our memories.The years fly by much too quickly -- occasionally and unfortunately taking people with them as they do.
Rick Shalvoy

I always feel kind of guilty when I think of the hulkster
as I believed it was me that gave him his first joint
we had a lot of laughs-I remember he called me 'Babbo'
from the cleansing soap commercial my dad did
we're getting old and starting to slip away
I will play the blues for him tonight
lets all keep in touch
cody

The Hulk was a complete original and a good friend. I always maintained to get fired as a JB lifeguard you needed to murder someone and if it wasn't a fellow lifeguard you probably would only get knocked a few hours. But, the Hulk proved me wrong on that one.
May he rest in peace.
Regis

I understand that the origin of the HULK'S nickname came from an incident that occurred at the theatre at Zach's Bay:
In the late 60's and early 70's, the Jones Beach Theatre was still renowned for the yearly musical productions of Guy Lombardo. Guy Lombardo was a "water man," and often drove his boat, a venerable wooden 'cigarette' boat, from Freeport to the theatre at Zach's Bay, and even included in many of his productions choreography that included the arrival of actors to the stage from a boat.
Apparently it was the practice at the time for the production company to employ some of the lifeguards to be around to make sure that no one fell off the stage or a boat into the "moat" that surrounded the theatre.
According to the story I heard, one midsummer night (the date I don't know) during one of Lombardo's summer musical performances, Mike Begley, decided, for an unknown reason (methinks a late afternoon spent drinking concession beers) to dive into the water, swim to the stage and run across (who knows what physical characterizations he expressed) wearing his suit (perhaps not) and, at minimum, a "HULK" tee shirt.
While the crowd (and probably the actors too) were recovering from the shock of "THE HULK" flying across the stage, Mr. Begley dove back into the water on the other side of the stage and swam off into the darkness, leaving all to whisper in wonder and shock as to who or what it was that appeared, au natural, and unscripted, in a "walk on role" at Guy Lombardo's "Marine Theatre" that night.
His nickname, THE HULK, was born then.
By the way, I was with The Hulk when he was interviewed by Newsday off in the east flats of field one.
He was more surprised and in disbelief that the sunfish was shot by the police than angry. But you're right, field one lifeguards were prime targets of the police that summer.
I am sure that I am just one of the many who have fond memories of him.
Art David

A true JB Original.
I remember meeting him my rookie year, 1978 during my first week at the Pool. He was a Boatswain on the way out to the beach and I was coming in, the greenest turnip that ever fell off a truck. I did not see him for days , but heard about him. I think Weber was also a Boswain in the Pool that day, but he signed out at 6 and told me "The Hulk will close you down." No sign of him all hour, than at 6.55 , he appeared on the EBHO Balcony wearing Black, Narrow Wrap Around Shades, he whistled, gave us the signal to close and than walked away. I was not really sure if he was the Boatswain or not but it was close enough to 7 that, we , the closing rookies decided to close. If my memory is correct.
I guess there was more than 1 Hulkie park, as according to Ray Neubold it was at the Central Mall, the garden off the traffic circle by the Water Tower. He and Ray watched the near misses while they had a few soft drinks.
Brads
RM/ JB All Star Lifeguard ( Parking Lot Division)

He was funny and bigger than life. It was great to have him at parties at the old Boyd Street house.
Bob Gehlbach

Begley streaked the JB theatre and acquired the name the Incredible Hulk. He ran across the stage nude with a cape saying the Incredible Hulk and with the police in pursuit, jumped on his motorcycle and went into the night as the now Incredible Hulk. A very difficult performance to outshine. He will be missed and was a great lg. and nice guy. I wonder how many of us are still there who remember that great performance?
Jay L.

The Hulk was an inspiration. I met his as a sophomore lifeguard at WEBO in 1975, where the Hulk was a regular visitor. A high school classmate of mine named Cathy Fiesta bagged Mike and they ran together for a few years. Though I have been away since 1981, old Jones Beach legends die hard and I will always fondly remember Michael “The Hulk” Begley as one incredible dude.
Big aloha to all,
Joe Field

I had fond memories of Mike. I worked with him several years at West End One. I think he moved on when the field went to weekends somewhere in the early 80's. As far as the shark incident, it was the year "Jaws" came out. Someone spotted a fin in front of WEBII on Saturday over the Labor Day weekend. The police boat shot at it so many times they claimed they literally cut it in half with their barrage. This made it into the Sunday paper. Mike found a dead sunfish with a single bullet hole in it and posed with another lifeguard in a photo. Mike's quote was " I'm irate, the cops pull this big macho trip about killing a giant killer shark and it was only a friendly, harmless, sunfish". On Monday, Memorial Day, the cops were looking for Mike at WEBII. They kept asking "who's irate"? They raided several shacks and confiscated whatever beer was in the refrigerators. The other lifeguard in the picture was John “Shane” McShane.
Mike was also the answer to the first trivia question in the Bucket and Buoy. Which lifeguard was assaulted... I forgot the rest of the question. I witnessed the attack. A young female kept cutting across the lifeguard area and it really started to bother Mike. After about the fifth time walking across the area Mike politely told her not to do it again, or else. When she cut across again, Mike picked her up, dropped her on her back and tongued her belly button. The girl said "cool it, my mom's right behind me" but it was too late. The woman yelled and Mike and let him have it hitting him with her purse.
He will be missed,
Ben von Pentz

I'm truly saddened upon hearing the news of the Mike
"Hulk" Begley passing...
For just the other day, I was telling the story of Mike and myself on a climbing adventure in Manchester, NH.
He'd been after me to take him rock climbing, and some advanced climbing at that, in the mid 70's...So I suggested we'd take a two-day trip to
Manchester, N.H. My friend Ellen was an experienced climber, and she proceeded to take us on this beautiful sunny day to show 'Hulk' how to
climb with protection / non-protected climbing - 30 +'chimney climbs and repelling of 70' or so feet back down and then to some serious exposed bouldering climbs (40'-60' high) no protection what's so ever...
So Ellen and I, not only are we experienced but have all the correct climbing gear, harness, ropes and gum climbing shoes that enable one to almost walk straight up a 90 degree wall (kidding) etc., "Hulk" has on beach issue white sneakers...and he's watching us spider-like walk-climb on this exposed 70' large building size boulder, like we're walk about town.
The next thing I know "Hulk" has manager to climb himself about 40' up & out on to this boulder (which has about 55% or more pitch to it) and 'NO' protection whatsoever or anyway of assisting him (like giving him a line or something to hold to or setting a belay to help him - to bring him back in)...I quickly climb out to him and try and talk him into a move that would better secure him with the possibility of getting back to a safer foot hold...but he's says instead "give him my hand", I couldn't help myself but to start laughing
and say 'NO' way, if I give you a hand and you go, I'm going with you- straight down 40' or so & my trip down would be face first and yours would going feet first (we wouldn't have gotten killed but it sure would have
been one BIG raspberry ride down only to land in some thorn bush to boot...). It was so funny that I had to say to the 'Hulk', "I can’t watch any more because I was laughing so hard for not being able to assist him" but
could he - if he would try to make this one hand move to a more secure hand hold to right...But he was on his own...I look back and the Hulk is now biting the rock, for he found a small hold in front of his face-bite the rock to hold is position and reach across with his right hand to the more secure hand hold...(since the bite hold enable him to move his right hand)... and we finished the climb. I don't think I stopped laughing for an hour after that. And I still to the this day some 40 + years later, smile and laugh
about that day.
Hulk, I'm going to miss you and I'll always have a story or two of you my friend. As many of us will...
Take care,

Gregory Akula Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Begley Pictures Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:26 pm
Dirico is getting the eulogy for me. Does anyone have any decent pictures of him? We'll put them in the next Bucket and Buoy.
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic