Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Lifeguard Captains
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests
Post Lifeguard Captains Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:58 am
The Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps was organized under the leadership of Captain William Johns who put the Corps together from guards at Valley Steam State Park. Captain Johns was the Captain of Valley Stream State Park lifeguards, and organized about 12 guards to provide lifeguard protection for the workers building Jones Beach during the summer of 1929. The Wantagh Parkway wasn't yet completed and the guards had to row to work. With the completion of the Wantagh Parkway and the opening of the East Bathhouse on August 4th, 1929 the lifeguard staff consisted of 18 guards and operated for about a month into September. Below is a list of the Captains that have served since 1929 as head of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps and the years they served:

Captain William Johns served from 1929 to 1942.

Captain Bill Colman served from 1943 to 1945.

Captain Erwin Enos served from 1945 to 1946.

Captain Carl Willie served from 1947 to 1949.

Captain Luke White served from 1949 to 1955.

Captain Harold Barr served from 1956 to 1970.

In 1971 the SEIU local 381 the Jones Beach lifeguard union under the leadership of Lawrence J Byrne started a Strike which lasted 8 weeks. The corps didn't come back to work, and at that time George Marth had undertook the role of Captain of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps. His assistant director was Frank Russell. They oversaw the operation of LISPC's attempt to hire replacement lifeguards and the initial attempts to train these guards. Both Marth and Russell were fired in late June when they refused to certify the replacement guards for ocean lifeguard duty; saying it would be criminal to place them on the ocean.

Upon settling the Strike, George Marth became the head Coordinator of Lifeguard operations for LISPC and seved in that role from 1971 to 1984.

In 1985 Robert Nellen assumed the role of Director or Head Coordinator with a staff of assistant coordinators. His assistants that first year consisted of Al McGill and Pat Linehan.

Robert Nellen served as Director from 1985 to 1989, he was succeded by Joseph Scalise who has served as Director from 1990 to the present.

Assistant coordinators over the years have been Chuck Barr, Don Spaargaren, Bob Hirten, Ron Harris, and Steve Agostinachia.
Post Re: Lifeguard Captains Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm
almcgill
A little tidying up of the history. I can not confirm the dates but George was the first coordinator and Joe Scalise and I were the first assistant coordinators. Pat Linehan joined us as another assistant about a year later and I resigned in 82 or 83 and went to Sunken Meadow and then to the Boatswain spot at RM3. I never worked with Bob. I thought George lasted a few more years and then Joe filled the spot.
Post Re: Lifeguard Captains Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:47 pm
James Rooney
Al;
Thanks for the input. I have George Marth's work history and will confirm the dates. I'll check with Pat too.
I was just following up about an interview Pat Lenihan conducted with Cheryl Teigs back in the late 1970's at Field One. Pat was looking for photos from it if anyone out there has any?
This HISTORY section is a work in progress and I'm always happy to get feedback from our Alumni.
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic