Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Races 1938
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests
Post Races 1938 Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:04 am
Admin
if you click the picture it will open the adobe pdf version...

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:21 am
From what I have dug up the Jones Beach competition team began in 1931 after the West Bathouse was opened in July of 1931. With the new Bathhouse facility and salt water pool, the LISPC initiated a Mid Atlantic Lifeguard tournament, and probably conducted tryouts to pick the team. The first Jones Beach Life Guard competition team consisted of Captain Sylvester Granrose, Armas Nekton, William Lancaster, Jim Kearns, Jack Buckley, and Edgar Kubalek.
The Interbeach Races were held Mid August with events on the beach and the last days events held in the pool.
Jones Beach won the Mid Atlantic tournament in 1931, and defended it in 1932 & 1933. By 1933 there were teams coming up from Miami Beach and Daytona Beach so the event was being billed as a National Lifeguard Tournament. In 1934 the event was moved to Ocean City New Jersey and the Ocean City team narrowly defeated the Jones Beach team 21 to 20 for the title. The Event was moved to Atlantic City New Jersey for 1935 & 1936 but I can't find any information if Jones Beach continued participating.
In 1937 the LISPC and lifeguard Captain William Carl Johns initiated interbeach competition. The competitions were held in mid August with both a day of ocean competition followed by a day of pool events.
You can see they continued there own Inter-beach Races though. The Dory's look to be narrower than the boats today with tiller slots for a steering oar. The Surf running at the West Bath in 1938 looks pretty challenging. There were 6 teams competing, and from what John Messbauer has told me, he began his JBLC career in 1940 at the Central Mall, there was alot of mid season transfers that were issued as beaches tried to juggle their lineups with prime swimmers or rowers.
I'm thinking the fields represented at the time would be Central Mall, East Bathhouse, West Bathhouse, Field #9 or East Overlook, Zachs Bay, and possibly West Overlook or Field #2. Anyone out there with any more information feel free to share it with us.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:38 pm
Here's a great photo from the original series of interbeach races circa 1937 till 1942. The races were brought back in August of 1946 running till around 1954. They were again renewed in the early 1960's and held almost every year except the strike shortened 1971 season. If anyone out there has any results or photos from any of those years please let me know as I'm trying to document the long history of this event. From what I can gather this years competition would be the 62nd annual one.

1937-1942 6 years
1946-1954 9 years
1961-1970 10 years
1972-2008 37 years

Hoping to begin documenting how the events and scoring have changed over the years.

In 1965 and 1966 the Jones Beach competition team competed in the World Lifeguard competition out in Montauk NY where teams from California, Australia, and New Zealand travelled to compete against teams from the East Coast. The 1966 competition was televised on the popular Wide World of Sports program on ABC television.
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic