Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
WEST END or WEB 1 & 2
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
Post WEST END or WEB 1 & 2 Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:56 pm
According to the recent Jones Beach book West End #1 opened first in 1960, followed by West End #2 in 1962. I know Pete Messbauer was a lieutenant for a while in West End #1's begining years with Jim Cawley as his boatswain, and Reggie Jones was probably West End #2's first Lieutenant.
Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:51 am
The West End 2 Jetty was completed at the end of 1957 finally stabilizing the Jones Beach inlet. How many guys were surfing down there in the early years?
Post Re: WEST END or WEB 1 & 2 Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm
James Rooney
Zero Beach was the first crew of lifeguards operating in what would be considered Field One Overlook, sort of like WEBO was operating at West End Two Overlook. The Eastern Ends of those two parking lots.

West End One was the Original West End and was called West End Beach during the Summers of 1960 and 1961. In 1962 West End Two opened and West End Beach "The Original West End" became known as West End One.

Here is the crew of the Summer of 1961 @ West End Beach;

Lieutenant Pete Messbauer and Boatswain Jim Cawley with Senior Man Walter Schurr.
Ritchie "Pudgie" Walsh, Dick Howell, John Froehlich, Billy Wright, Rob Mullally, Eddie Gaulrapp, Jim Messina, Jamie Mullally, Ritchie Foster, Bob Dunnigan, Bob Nellen.....with Week-Enders Harry Sullivan, Jim McAllister, Joe Maxwell, and R.Murphy.

In the Summer of 1962 the new crew of West End Two the original roster consisted of;

Lieutenant Reggie Jones and Boatswain Edwin Rooney with senior man Bill Robertson.
Jim Coveney, Cliff Coughlin, Eddie Gallagher, Tommy Hamilton, Marcus Hansen, ? Litzel, ? Richens, Warren Taylor.......with Week-Enders Bernie Lynch, Stu Staples, ? Walin, ? Findheison, ? Welsch.

The West End One crew of the summer of 1962 were;

Lieutenant Pete Messbauer and Boatswain Jim Cawley with Senior Man Walter Schurr.
Craig Bolint, Bob Dunnigan, John Fager, John Froehlich, Eddie Gaulrapp, Terry Heffernan, Jim Messina, Jamie Mullally, Rob Mullally, and Billy Wright..........with Week-Enders Joe Maxwell, Jim McAllister, Bob Nellen, Harry Sullivan, Ritchie "Knobby" Walsh, and Joe Mullally. Last edited by James Rooney on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Re: WEST END or WEB 1 & 2 Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 pm
Regis McDuffee
Wasn't Richie Walsh's nickname "Knobby" ? I'm not sure if he's the same guy but Knobby Walsh was at WEB 1 during my first year in 68.
Post Re: WEST END or WEB 1 & 2 Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:31 pm
James Rooney
Regis,
You are probably right I might be confusing him with an FDNY football team founder. I had heard Knobby was living in Long Beach NY, and was seen spending Winters down in Rincon Puerto Rico. Prez ran into him down there a couple of years ago. I recently received a set of weekly Jones Beach lifeguard schedules from the summers of 1961 and 1962. I'll correct that nickname mistake on my posts and in a few photos I posted on my facebook site.
Thanks as always for the feedback, Roon
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic