Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
History of Jones Beach by John Hanc
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
Post History of Jones Beach by John Hanc Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:45 pm
There is a new book out by Newsday writer John Hanc. A lot of great photos, and a real effort to put the Beach's history in writing. Great Job John Hanc!

While some facts were wrong due to Jay Lieberfarb's poor memory and beach knowledge. John Hanc corrected these facts on his book website <http://www.jonesbeachmemories.com>

The Union was formed in 1963 not 1965, and it was Local 381 not 361 of the Building Service Employees International Union AFL-CIO.

Lawrence J. Byrne and John G. Walsh were running the show through 1972 with Walter Schurr, Bob Dunnigan, Ed Rooney, Pete Messbauer, Al Uris, etc. as lifeguard advisors. The age issue was brought up first in 1966 and again in 1968. There is no mention of the successfull 8 day August 1967 strike. Then Lieberfarb showed up and cut a deal to run the show and merge us into the Prison Guard union and Council 82. 1972 to 2007 we're finally getting out from under that poor decision and moving towards union with NYSUT.

I guess Jay Lieberfarb forgot those facts, and the Bucket & Bouy wasn't started till 1975, (actually 1973 according to Dennis Kane). An interesting read for all lifeguards, I'm looking forward to checking with our senior guards on the accuracy of it. It's sad that John Hanc depended on Jay Lieberfarb and Eddie Peters to give him facts, and their memories of those facts contributed to some missinformation to the general public. Hopefully a true History of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps will come out to set the story straight. Last edited by Guest on Mon May 12, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:25 pm
Jim, I started the Bucket and Buoy while I was at RM3 with Linehan etal., and that was before 75. In 75 I was already at WBH. I gave Roy a copy of what has erroneously since been called the "first" issue. Remind me when Linehan was elected President, and then I can tell you when the B+B was started. Or ask Spence (keeper of the seniority / employment records) when I was at RM3. I think it was 73 or 74, but definitely not 75.
Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:06 am
Dennis;
I think Pat Linehan was elected the first lifeguard union president in 1972 when he defeated Jay Lieberfarb in the election. The best person to ask would be Jay Lieberfarb, he always has so much to say at the various Association meetings. Maybe he and Roy Lester can put their heads together and contribute to the Lifeguard History project?
I'm not going to hold my breath for that one!
James Rooney
Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:10 pm
If you look on John Hanc's website <http://www.jonesbeachmemories.com> , he has posted a correction to his book noting that The Jones Beach Lifeguard Union was originally Local 381 of the SEIU Building and Service Employees International Union, and that the Lifeguard union was formed in 1963.

John has given some great talks on his book during the summer of 2007, and he has alot of interest for more talks this summer. As he told me Jones Beach was such a monumental task to research, and he really did a great job getting the full pictorial story put together. Congradulations John Hanc on a great job!
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic