Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Hawaii
Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests
Post Hawaii Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:46 am
I had a great chat with Dennis Jones last night. Dennis is one of many Jones Beach lifeguards over the years who have made the journey to Hawaii and have chosen to stay in Paradise. I informed him of the long history, as one of our first Lietenants Bill Mullahey made the journey in the early 1930's. Bill Mullahey utilized the Jones Beach system of lifeguarding to organize the Waikiki Beachboys into the Outrigger Canoe Clubs Waikiki Beach Patrol.
Dennis told me how he had made the move from lifeguarding on the City of New Yorks beaches to the Jones Beach patrol. I've been in contact with Stu Miller, and it winds out that Dennis started in 1963 @ Field 1with Stu Miller as his Lietenant. Stu started in 1947 @ East Bath with Wilton Fernandez as his first Lieutenant, and Wilt started in 1939 @ East Bath with John Stratton as his lieutenant.
When I started in 1979 Dennis was a Lieutenant at West Bath. I made a move to Hawaii in 1987 and with John Hoogsteden and Sean Dowling we took the test and worked for the City & County of Honolulu. John Hoogsteden is still in Hawaii with almost 20 years service and currently is the Lietenant on the North Shore of Oahu. Over 70 years of Jones Beach lifeguard connections!
Dennis Jones informed me that his good friend John Jax is another Jones Beach lifeguard whose made a home out in Paradise. John Phillips is also living out there. I'm looking forward to begin adding to our growing Alumni group, and providing a forum for us to begin tracking this great History of the Corps.
Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic