Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Robert Moses
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests
Post Robert Moses Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:25 am
I heard from Al McGill this past week;who informed me that Frank Russell was the first Lieutenant at RM #2 when it opened in June of 1964. Al McGill served as his boatswain. They both went to East Bath house in 1965, and Al returned in 1966 to lead RM #4 as it's first lieutenant. It was a weekend beach for it's first year, and Al McGill patrolled the outer reaches of Robert Moses by Jeep during the week with Bob Davison as his boatswain. All un patrolled areas from RM 5 to Democrat Point. The next year Al McGill and George Frayne formed the rookie training team that trained alot of our senior guards who remain today.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:57 pm
rgustavs
I started at RM #1 in 1964 (before moving to Field #2 in 1965) and remember Al and Frank very well. They would often row passed our beach. Many times, Al would just be "dorying" by himself. Artie Stengel was my first lieutenant, Kenny Hunte and Bob Bury (wrestling foes) were there working as boatswain and senior man. There were two other crazy guys named Harry and George who were the biggest cut-ups I was ever around. They would drive everyone crazy with an uncanny ability to fart at will!

George Frayne, I remember, had a car painted like a fighter plane, complete with "Japanese Zero Hits" on the side. The Commander is still rockin' as far as I know.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:46 pm
rgustavs
rgustavs wrote:
I started at RM #1 in 1964 (before moving to Field #2 in 1965) and remember Al and Frank very well. They would often row passed our beach. Many times, Al would just be "dorying" by himself. Artie Stengel was my first lieutenant, Kenny Hunte and Bob Bury (wrestling foes) were there working as boatswain and Bob Burkley was senior man. There were two other crazy guys named Harry and George who were the biggest cut-ups I was ever around. They would drive everyone crazy with an uncanny ability to fart at will!

George Frayne, I remember, had a car painted like a fighter plane, complete with "Japanese Zero Hits" on the side. The Commander is still rockin' as far as I know.

Bob Gustavson
JBLG 1964-70
Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:18 pm
Fire Island State Park as we know it today Robert Moses Field 3 was rebuilt in it's present spot after most of the Parks original buildings were destroyed in the 1938 Hurricane. At that time most of the park buildings were near the lighthouse. The presnt building was constructed and open for business in the Summer of 1940.
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic