Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
Post 1934 Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:56 pm
I'm trying to figure out when various Beach facilities first opened up with a Lifeguard crew. Does anyone know the opening years for West End 2, West End 1, Field 1, Field 2, Field 6, and Field 9? As of 1934 I found a photo showing a Captain and 5 Lieutenants and 5 Boatswains and 29 lifeguards. I'm figuring the initial beaches were East Bath ocean, West Bath ocean, West Bath pool, Zachs Bay, and the Central Mall. Beaches back then had a Lieutenant in charge and 1 boatswain. Any help would be appreciated.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:00 pm
I got info today that West End 2 opened in 1962 with Reggie Jones as Lieutenant. West End 1 opened the next year 1963 with Pete Messbauer as Lietenant and Jim Cawley as Boatswain. Robert Moses 2 most likely opened in 1964, and Robert Moses 5 opened in 1972. Any idea what year Robert Moses 4 opened? Possibly 1967 ?
Post RM4 opening year was 1966 Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:47 am
I started there in 1967 and it was already opened. I believe it opened in 1966 as a weekend beach and opened full time in 1967. Bob Burkley was the Lt., and Ed Brannnigan was Bsn. Senior Man was George Munich. Some other Lg's were Dennis Angermaier, Jack Donnelly, Tom Jones, Dave McCartney, Jeff Abrant, Bob Stone, Stan Casey, Marty Ritz, Tom Murray, Jerry Curtin, Pete Wonsigle, Pat Goodwin, Dan Baron, Dennis Christy, and John Provogle.
There is a photo of the 67' crew posted on the JBLifeguard.com site.

Tom Donovan
Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:15 pm
Tom;
I was talking with Lee Hahn, and he had worked a few days lifeguarding at Captree in his first year at the beach 1962. He said they only had about three guards working the enclosed Bay beach. The bridge opened up in 1964, and before that it was Ferry only access.
Regards; Jim
Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:32 pm
After speaking with several of our senior members I've come up with a few more names of our Lieutenants & Boatswains of the 50's. Bob Otto was a Westbury High swim coach and Adelphi swim coach. Phil Hoffman, Bill Higbie, Frank Lyons, Jim Lavine.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:25 pm
Here's a list of Officers from the 1934 photo of Lifeguards;

Jim Hoolihan, George Clark, Edgar Kubalek, Bill Marquette, Captain William Johns, Sylvester Granrose, Jim Raedon, Gus Abrandt, Carl Willie.

Some of the lifeguards in the Photo are;

Bob Grote, Jack Ryan, Dale Thompson, Norm Scharkoff, Ed Aubel, Chris Wilkens, Gus Harms, James Lancaster, Luke White, Bob Pennstrom, Len Wheeler, Paul Verna, Bill Losee, Ed Enos, Walter Arnold, Tom McGloin, Lee Ryder, Joe Parr, Jack Dorf, Howard Kaiser, Jack Buckley, Otto Wolf, Ned Gagliano, Walter Jaeger, Schuyler Scharf, Mickey Stephen, Mike Stetlon, Charles Hannerty, Bob Wheeler, Harry Barr.
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic