Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Lifeguard Rally, Saturday, May 2nd 1pm-2:30pm
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests
Post Lifeguard Rally, Saturday, May 2nd 1pm-2:30pm Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:36 pm
All lifeguards presently living in the LI area, are expected to be at our rally this Saturday, May 2nd, 1pm to 2:30pm, at the Central Mall, Jones Beach, rain or shine.

The rally is to send a message to Gov. Paterson. That message is that the people of LI, the members of the JBLC, and their union affiliates, NYSUT and UUP, are fed up with our beaches being closed, lifeguard jobs being threatened, and the public being forced into crowded unsafe conditions when they go to the beach.

This is our time to stand up and be counted. We are part of the solution.

I hope to see all of you on Saturday.

Tom Donovan
Post Lifeguard Rally Thank You Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:06 pm
I wish to thank all the lifeguards and supporters who showed up in the rain for Saturday's rally. For those who were there, it was an event to remember. Let us keep the pressure going. Please continue to email or write Governor Paterson and your local NYS representatives. At yesterdays rally we were supported by the presence of 6 NYS Assemblymen and Senators.

Assemblyman Harvy Weisenberg
Assembly David McDonough
Senator Charles Fuschillo
Senator Joe Salidino
Senator Kemp Hannon
Senator Owen Johnson's representative Gordon Canary.

Please remember to support them in November!

I am attaching the Newsday and News 12 links.

Thanks for your continued support. We will not give up this fight!

Tom Donovan

Jones Beach lifeguards protest budget cut for LI parks
--------------------

BY JONATHAN STARKEY
Special to Newsday

May 2 2009, 7:53 PM EDT

Lifeguards waving signs in protest gathered at Jones Beach Saturday to condemn budget cuts they said will make beaches less safe for swimmers.

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-li ... 2985.story

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp ... sition=4...
Post Re: Lifeguard Rally, Saturday, May 2nd 1pm-2:30pm Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:30 am
so what is next ---- how does the draft work -- are the lowest LGs cut. This should work off of seniority. I haven't heard of any details. Who knows how this will go?
Post Re: Lifeguard Rally, Saturday, May 2nd 1pm-2:30pm Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:19 pm
Matt;
What's your position? Officer or part timer at Field One?

Have you spoke to your Beach Representative? Did you speak to anyone at the Rally last saturday?

Have you read the recent Bucket and Bouy?

Are you prepared for the rehire test?

Did you get your paperwork in by the deadline?

Are you planning on working pre season?

Do you know what day the DRAFT is?

Feel free to post your questions and I'll be happy to ask around and try and find the correct answer for you.

I think they are still trying to work out the details of the CUTS and solutions to them.

Paperwork was supposed to be turned in by May 1st and I think alot of answers will be available on the May 16th rehire test. A Bucket & Bouy will probably be out by then.

Good luck on your training MATT!

Rooney EBHO
Post Re: Lifeguard Rally, Saturday, May 2nd 1pm-2:30pm Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:12 pm
yeah i am bswn at F1 which will be open 2 weekends supposedly. If they are going to cut LGs, I think they have to cut by seniority. I am all set, but no one really knows how this will work yet.
Post Re: Lifeguard Rally, Saturday, May 2nd 1pm-2:30pm Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:21 pm
Matt if your an Officer you most likely will return to the spot you worked last year during the week, and return to FIELD ONE on those 3 weekends they plan to open it.

WHO they plan to staff it with on those # magic weekends........WHO knows? Does the WSO have any input?

I know the plan right now is to not have a staff at East Bath pool, Field ONE and West End Two...............no one really knows because the exact details aren't available yet......?

THE really CRAZY thing is the STATE is planning these cuts now and has no idea how busy the beaches will be, or HOT and SUNNY the weather will be, or what the SURF will be like????
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic