Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
I couldnt make the Union meeting
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests
Post I couldnt make the Union meeting Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:51 pm
Did anyone see in Newsday that the Park Police staff was cut down signifigantly? This will not only effect us with problems in unprotected areas but on the beach as a whole.
I think it is a good indicator of what might come with us..as they might not hire any new staff or a limited rookie class.
Unfortunately, I believe that is an issue of safety that we seem to forget in our battle to have autonomy.

Mark
Post Re: I couldnt make the Union meeting Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:47 pm
good point...mark...and let me remind everyone...they already cut some guards last season...the last week they took 8hrs from me...and others...
changing my work week from 40hrs down to 32hrs...just like that...
the worst part we have no contract stating we are entitled to 40hrs...
no union representing us...
and no one on the corps wants to take a stand...or at least they are not saying...

my vote...we take serious action...the economy will get worse...come january 21st...when barry takes office...things could get really bad...maybe if you have less than five years they will knock you down to just a weekender? wouldnt that be something...or maybe they will just cut the weekenders...again no contract...no union...no unity means the state will do whatever they want...
lets go people...time to move...we need plans...
santiago
Post Re: I couldnt make the Union meeting Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 pm
Park Police have been cut before, a while back they did away with experianced seasonal park police in favor of younger rookie park police. Now budget cuts, we really need to come up with a clear cut policy of handling police matters. I say leave police matters to the police. They're armed to handle these situations, what are we going to do in a bathing suit armed with a whistle and bouy. Get on the radio and call for back-up before incidents escalate into something your unable to handle.

Before we can negotiate anything we need to get into a Union that wants to and is capable of negotiating our issues. NYSCOPBA has demonstrate over 10 years from 1999 to the present they're unable to negotiate for us. NYSUT through UUP is prepared to step in and negotiate our concerns. Things look good so far, and I think if we wait a month we should see the change in place.

With the State budget and economic climate I wouldn't expect too much, but I do think the beaches will be one of the places people will be going to to escape and recreate. I'm hopefull we'll still need lifeguards to protect that Public, and hopefully the State will see the need to maintain those essential services.
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic