Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
no more ten hour days...
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests
Post no more ten hour days... Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:36 pm
hey ladies and gents...
well i just heard today...the WSO just got the call...
NO MORE PART TIMERS DOING TEN HOUR DAYS...
anyone
santiago
Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:25 am
Santiago;
I think it's just the WSO response to the State budget crisis. No OT, No Make-up time, No 10 hour days, basically they'll be looking to cut staff hours and pay wherever they find they can. Sort of small amounts in the big picture of things, but I guess Post Season might not stretch till Columbus day this year. And if people drop out they just might not be replaced.
Hopefully we won't see Sunny Weather, Big Crowds, and Heavy Surf like in July or the NY State Parks and WSO will have to try and explain how they're protecting the Public.
They did a great job in July demonstrating how they kept the beaches open late with OT to prevent they types of drownings that occured in Long Beach due to skimping on coverage and keeping skeleton crews on after 6 PM closing time.
Time will tell; but let's all keep aware and on top of the situation, as Salino says "Who watches the Watchman?"
Rooney
Post yo... Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:27 pm
how about 80 degree temps and three storms staring us down the barrel...
hanna looks like it will spin itself dizzy...
as always we will see what happens
santiago
Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:08 pm
Seems they are trying to talk to Chip Gorman to get the 10 hour days for the regular 10 hour day users till Labor Day. I guess 10 hour days never flew after labor day?

Kind of crazy you wouldn't want to Staff the beaches with qualified lifeguards after this past season that has seen almost a dozen drownings Island wide? Talk to the guys at Long Beach or South Hampton and see What they think? Paying $15 an hour for lifeguard protection is better than trying to Explain to families after they have lost a loved one? How much money are they actually saving?
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic