Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Original Woman Lifeguards 1968
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests
Post Original Woman Lifeguards 1968 Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:18 am
Hey All fellow guards;
Jimmy Dirico has helped again, and I'd like to throw it out there to the active participants of the site,

Who were the original Woman Lifeguards hired in 1968 to staff the newly opened East Bath pool? Who were the officers, and are there any Historic crew shots out there?

I thought Evon Allen was the only one left, but Jimmy Dirico pointed out we have Bettina Grunke still here. I think at the time it was Bettina Pallazo joining a few of her brothers who were also Jones Beach guards. Just one more of many family groups!

11 Original Woman JBLC lifeguards 1968:

Lieutenent - ?
Boatswains - ?

1) Evon Semenko Allen
2) Barbara Jane Graham
3) Eileen McGrain
4) Carol Martini
5) Jill Wood
6) Bettina Palazzo Grunke
7) Nancy Lynch
8) Mary Ellen Butler

I'll just keep updating as the info comes in, and I'm sure Dennis Kane can help post a photo if one exists. This sure helps my history research as guys like Jimmy Dirico can help out. If my spelling is wrong feel free to correct me. I'd also like to hear when the women got out on the beach. At Dave Spences 50th gala, an old buddy Steve Long was in attendance. Steve seemed to think that it was 1978 that the first women were placed out at oceanfront facilities. I know Barbara Davis was out at Field #6, and Nancy Lynch was out at East Bath. I heard one of the Soulier sisters went out too, and maybe VeyVoda? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post women lifeguards Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:26 pm
I'm pretty sure that Bettina didn't start until 1972. Iknow she was not in my training class in 1968.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:22 pm
Regis;
No need to worry, I swim with Bettina all winter, and I'll give her the benifit of the doubt till I see her. Who was doing the rookie training back in 1968? Where did you do it? What did it entail? Any photos survive? What field did you end up being assigned to?

By the way I just double checked an article I had from 1968 that stated there were 11 woman lifeguards hired that summer to guard at the East Bathhouse pool.
Post training Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:39 pm
Ed Rooney (I'm not sure if you are related, if you are he was a great lifeguard), Joe Scalise and Joe Ingarossa were the trainers.
I don't have any pictures but we ran about 6 miles a day fom the EBH to West End 1, We did plenty of rescues and we had daily class work, CPR kinds of stuff but at that time we didn't get certified. The training lasted 2 weeks.
We worked our tales off to try to get on an ocean beach and on the third day Cliff Coughlin, the lieutenant at field 9 gave us lessons with the boat. He asked me to launch the boat into pretty big surf and I nailed it. He asked the trainers who I was and I thought he was going to draft me for field 9. I was psyched.
The next day he asked Donnie Matthews and I to demonstrate rowing and he launched us. Donnie was in the stern and I was behind him in the bow. We didn't know each other and I kept yelling at Matthews because his oars kept popping out of the dole pins. I kept telling him he was blowing my chances for an ocean beach. Donnie finally turned around and told me he was going to shove one of his oars down my throat. I told him he better not try because I was a wrestler or something inane like that.
The ironic thing was that Matthews and I both wound up at West End 1 despite our boat fiasco. I don't think we talked to each other for the first 2 weeks at WEB 1 despite the fact we were always put together on a wing stand. He'd try to talk to me and I would say "watch the water" and when I would try to start a conversation he would do the same.
We eventually became pretty good friends and eventually tried to go cross country riding tandem on my Honda 350 motorcycle. That trip culminated in the Great Topeka Kansas Motorcycle Masacree. If you see Matthews ask him about that.
Post More about womern Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:57 pm
I was with Mary Ellen Butler and Nancy Lynch at West Bath Ocean when they came out. It was before 78, maybe 1977? They were treated as equals, because they could do the job. Ask Spence (our Lt.) about the dates. I would love any pictures, especially that initial group.
Post Lynch & Butler Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:39 am
Nancy Lynch & Mary Ellen Butler were the first at WHBO in 1974 or 75. Their first year was the year we had Hurricane Bob hit the beach with a hardcore group of WHBO guards staying up in the Moses Suite riding out the strom: Andy Burke, Lance Corey, Dennis Kane and few others. Burke has a recording of the eye passing over the beach during the night.

I remember the morning after the strom hit, watching Mary Ellen and Nancy out riding the waves with the crew. We walked down to CM got maybe 3 rides and got out at Fld 2 to walk back to ride again.

That was the first year we had ladies on the stands, both Nancy and Mary Ellen were strong swimmers and great guards to work with. As a union officer I remember a number of "heated" talks with the executive board regardng this "test". Thank God Nanacy and Mary Ellen led the way!!!

Kevin
WHBO 1969-1984
Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:26 am
The Hurricane was Belle in August of 1976, I believe that was the first year Nancy & Mary Ellen started at WBHO.
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic