JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Senior JBLC members Pre Strike 1971
Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests
Post Senior JBLC members Pre Strike 1971 Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:37 am
Here is a list of our senior lifeguards who were around during the pivitol 1971 Lifeguard strike.

There are about 44 members still active in the JBLC:

Reggie Jones started 1944
Jay O'Neill 1953
Al Uris 1953
Bob Burkley 1957
Chuck Barr 1958
Dave Spence 1959
Jay Losee 1959
Ken Larsen 1960
Arnie Norman 1961
Marcus Hansen 1961
Charlie Southwick 1961
James 'Prez' Monroe 1962
Lee Hahn 1962
Joe Caselli 1962
Joe Scalise 1962
James Zellner 1963
Eddie Peters 1964
Joe Rubbone 1965
Udo Guddat 1965
Tom Hadley 1965
James McFarlane 1966
Bob Kolonkowski 1966
Steve Casey 1967
Paul Lundwall 1967
Tommy Donovan 1967
Marv Levenson 1967
Royal Reynolds 1967
Rich Kollar 1967
Steve McGrain 1967
Cory Duryea 1967
Evon Allen (orig women guard) 1968
Bruce Mierowitz 1968
Mitch Mayer 1968
Donnie Mathews 1968
Frank McShane 1968
Roy Lester (jammer lawsuit) 1968
Steve Rosenbluth 1968
Bettina Grunke (orig woman guard) 1968
Timmy Graham 1969
Jim Dirico 1969
John Weber 1969
John Coughlin 1970
Steve Levenson 1970
Dennis Kane 1970 Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Post Re: Senior JBLC members Pre Strike 1971 Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:32 pm
James Rooney wrote:
Here is a list of our senior lifeguards who were around during the pivitol 1971 Lifeguard strike.
How accurate is your info?
There are about 37 members still active:

Reggie Jones started 1944
Jay O'Neill 1953
Al Uris 1953
Bob Burkley 1957
Dave Spence 1959
Jay Losee 1959
Ken Larsen 1960
Arnie Norman 1961
Marcus Hansen 1961
Charlie Southwick 1961
James 'Prez' Monroe 1962
Lee Hahn 1962
Joe Caselli 1962
James Zellner 1963
Eddie Peters 1964
Joe Rubbone 1965
Udo Guddat 1965
Tom Hadley 1965
James McFarlane 1966
Bob Kolonkowski 1966
Steve Casey 1967
Paul Lundwall 1967
Tommy Donovan 1967
Marv Levenson 1967
Royal Reynolds 1967
Rich Kollar 1967
Steve McGrain 1967
Cory Duryea 1967
Evon Allen (first women guards) 1968
Bruce Mierowitz 1968
Mitch Mayer 1968
Frank McShane 1968
Roy Lester (jammer lawsuit) 1968
John Weber 1969
John Coughlin 1970
Steve Levenson 1970
Dennis Kane 1970
Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Info was taken directly from the seniority list?

I'm assuming keeper of the seniority list "Dave Spence" has the most accurate info out there Big Jim.
Post list from 71 Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 pm
I'm sure Jimmy Dirico was around for that strike. I'm sure that Donnie Matthews was around too.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 pm
I guess Jimmy Dirico slipped through the cracks, and I'll have to add Steve Rosenbluth too as he's still hanging in there, that makes 39! I know Donnie Mathews took the whole test this past year passing with Flying colors but declining the job. He did work all summer as one of the junior lifeguard trainers. Does anyone know what year Donnie started? That will bring us up to an even 40!

There were 360 members working in 1970, part of the reason they struck is the LISPC only wanted to hire back 300 of them, almost a 20 % cut in staff.

Right now there are still 36 still working almost 10 % of the ones who hung in there through the 8 week Strike.

Here we are with no raises in 6 years. No written contract in who knows how many years? Does Jimmy Dirico know the answer to that question? Maybe as Robert Moses trustee he can look through the records and locate our last written contract?

Jimmy Dirico: Pat Linahan was president of our Union from 1972-1979, after him I think you boy Roy Lester was president 1980-1988, Then Jimmy Cash 1988-1992, all I'm asking for is a copy of our last written contract so we'll have something to work for when we negotiate a future contract.

We can always add names if you have any, I wasn't aware of some, and I just missed others. A simple notification and I'll add them in. I did have both Steve and Marvin Levenson.

Regis McDuffey;
I saw Donnie Mathhews today and he confirmed his 1968 starting date. That guy has always been a full on lifeguard waterman and was performing some of the best Kayak surfing I've ever seen in between events at this years Junior Lifeguard tournament. Hopefully he'll be back on the beach in the near future.

I appreciate the positive feedback, I know Bobby Hirten started the year of the Strike in 1971, but he did come back the next year 1972, and a good 15 years more moving up to boatswain before making the move to the Water Safety Office.

Joe Scalise also was a guard prior to the Strike circa 1962, and was Lieutenant in the Bay after the strike. He was actually one of our Union Executive Board members on Pat Linehans team, and instrumental in getting us our first written contract.

Thanks to your help I'm up to 42 active pre-Strike members, though I'll keep Bobby Hirten off the list and also Joe Scalise, though I do respect his 25 years of active lifeguarding 1962-1985, as well as his long service in the Lieutenant ranks (along with Jimmy Dirico and Bobby Hirten)

We should mention Chuck Barr also as Chuck has a good long record of service as a lifeguard through all the ranks. Chuck started prior to 1960, maybe 1958, and his Dad Harry Barr was a Jones Beach lifeguard 1934-1970 and was one of the longest serving Captains of the CORPS.

Chuck also made the move up to the Water Safety Office and the management team. While he's not back on the beach, he has been the equipment manager for who knows how long, and has personally manufactured every bouy we use to make ALL of our rescues. You can't be more instrumental to Saving Lives than that!

I'm Happy this thread has brought so much interest!

Let's keep it going Brother guards! Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:05 pm
Everyone, The list is missing a few more names. The Senority list has Bettina Grunke [243] as starting in 1968. I do not remember her working with Carole Martini, Jill Wood, Elieen McGrain, BJ Graham, ....etc, Timmy Graham [1969], Steve Leverson [1970] are some names also missing from Rooney's list. More research needs to be done by Rooney.-----AS FOR THE LAST WRTTEN CONTRACT statement by Rooney, that was in the 1980s and Pres. Pat from RM was in office----Lets stop this history path and focus on the present and the future! ---We need sensible heads to accomplish our GOALS.
Jim Dirico
Post big jim??? Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 pm
hey dirico...your so bent about the history lesson...well let me tell you rooney is one of the only dudes helping for the future...he does it on his own time and he is not a member of the board...he works very hard getting the facts...so he missed you and some others...guards have chimed in and he got results...

here is the question of the day...mr. rm trustie...if we are looking into the future...what exactly are the GOALS you speak of...because if your talking about GOALS there must be a list of some sort...
how long can we wait and work without a contract...is that a GOAL...

infact i hope to hear these GOALS at the next BRA meeting...mr. rm trustie your very quiet at the BRA meetings...you said your were willing to decline the post season...was that a GOAL or a bluff...
think before you write...guards are pissed and we want action...
santiago
Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:32 pm
Let me see if I got this right?

In no particular order:

Hour up hour down
½ hour wash-up
Guaranteed job every summer…no layoffs...see our current economy
Rescues on a crowded day
Sun and surf
Surfing/boogie-boarding/body-surfing/kayaking/boating/volleyball
Running/swimming/working out
Volleyball tournaments
Kayak tournaments
Interbeach races
Angermair Run-Swim-Run
Jones Beach Competition Team
Junior Lifeguard Program
Retirement parties/Rookie parties/Race parties/Parties for everything and anything
Barbeques
Old men staying young
Kids growing up
Rookie training
A place to bring your family
A public that appreciates, recognizes, and, applauds what we do
A job that takes you back after years of absence (outback rule)
Great officers to work for
Great crews to work with
Union Leaders trying to make things better
Flexible schedules
Camaraderie
More great things that are inappropriate to list
No contract since 2001
No raise

Damn…this job s@cks ! ! !
Post Donnie Matthews Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:36 pm
Donnie started in 1968.

However ironic, Bob Hirten started the year of the strike.
Post hey grooner... Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:59 pm
i guess rm5 three east is still good...
hey from what i remember from last time...are you not an old timer...30 plus years...leathered...
maybe you can help with the history rooney is putting together...we know how the job is great...
but the cost of living up, gas up, beach goers up, rescues up,
we just want to even things out...
im not the bad guy here grooner...i want what i deserve and that is a contract and with that comes raises...its the fucking american way...and im not the only one thinking this way...which again is the american way...
when will you give a shit about the real issues...when they take your bbq away...or when they tell you you cant have family in the shack...
give me a break...old men getting young...
ill send you the oscar
santiago
Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:28 pm
Santiago,
I never said you were the bad guy. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Just wanted make sure everyone understood that there are some goods things going on.
I am sure there are some that do share your opinion; however, I don't think there are as many as you think. As you said in one of your prior e-mails, only 13 peope showed up to get your no contract shirt. I applaud your efforts to gather the troops, but they are not following. That doesn't mean you are wrong about the raise/contract situation, just that people may not think it is as important as you do. If you can't get them to do something as easy as wearing a t-shirt, they certainly are not going to support some serious job action.
Don't make this a pissing match. I am just sharing my opinion. And yes, no BBQ would be a serious work environment issue (LOL) ! ! !
Enjoy the rest of the summer ! ! !
Post raise / retro Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:09 am
mike_d
well said pete, I agree this should not be a pissing match. Things seem to be moving along, slowly but things are going in a positive direction. It's a good point that there are probably more guards that don't "need" the raise compared to those that really do need it. Not that it's right, but since most do not depend on this job to live, the urgency of a job action just doesn't exist - yet....

...Congrats to WBHO, Victory at the 2008 Inter-Beach Races...
Post great... Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:01 am
ok guys...
state run job and no contract...it doesnt come down to money its the point...
no contract...means they can take anything off that list grooner sent...anytime...without a contract we could lose it all...

right now our contract is a photocopy of scribble and signatures and you cant read any of it...very safe...hand shake agreements, and past practice is what we go by...very safe...no reason to be alarmed...they can take it all away...just like the finger prints...drug tests will be coming...

but keep writing about the revolution???and bbqs...cause im planning on sending my kids to college with that money the state owes me...it the point...so when do you guys job action (cause EB members are talking next summer we dont swim)...in 2012...
2018...grooner and mike will be pissed in 2022 when we still have no contract...then youll come down for a no contract tshirt...

you know who i blame...ME
you see...if your life sucks then you want no raise...cause why change anything...just keep sucking and do my sits hit the vball around...make believe life is good...
then me on the other hand...enjoying life...say...wow life is good...i dont need jb...especially for no money...and thats what it comes down to...
im the loser for coming back every year...

this lifeguard corps is so sad...just look WBHO...wins the races...
where were all the studs...tuff guy lifeguards...hitting the weights...
imagine that...we win the races...
just want to say we trained hard...
thanks mike_D...
santiago
Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:07 am
Pete Groner;
Thanks for the list, you did a great job of "putting down in writing" all the great things this job has. That's my point, "We need a 'written' Collective Bargaining agreement!"

Pat Linehan our first 'lifeguard' Union president got us a written collectice bargaining agreement. Somewhere in the 80's we lost that? When? Who knows?I had hoped Jimmy Dirico would have known when that took place, but he seems to be "Lost in the Ozone".

As he said at a recent BRA meeting, "We never wrote any of those meetings down." And if it's not in writing we really don't have it.

You have to give the current Executive Board credit as the only reason that this season has been running so smoothly is because of the efforts of our current Board to work with management, and handle problems 'in house'. And there have been problems. Luckily most have been settled by cooler heads working together.

You also have to give Steve Agostinacchio and Joe Scalise credit as they have definitely done a great job of running the Water Safety Office. Joe Scalise carries over 25 years of lifeguarding experiance 1962-1986 into the Water Safety office, and Steve Agostinacchio ( 1979- 1990's) also spent almost 20 years on the beach at the West Bathhouse before moving on to the Water Safety management team.

Santiago has made a great point, "What are our GOALS?" Jimmy Dirico you talk a good game but sometimes you ramble aimlessly. How about putting down your GOALS into a few simple sentances then pass them on to the membership? A strong union is when each and every member knows what's going on and what we're trying to achieve. Educate us if you can, or let others help you out.

A written History can only help our cause, and it might even educate our Leaders.

Mike D : it's not a pissing match, but 6 years without a pay raise and over 20 years without a written collective bargaining agreement? It's not about who "needs" the pay it's about basic workers rights. If things are going too slow we have to start doing something?

But hey, GO West Bath in the races, Rah Rah Rah!
Post glory days Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:25 pm
mike_d
you guys are 100% right, it's the principal of the whole thing. We should have these basic parameters set in place that almost all unions have, and hopefully we will soon in NYSUT.. a ways back I was told by some senior members the bottom line is there are only a couple of things that are worth and will trigger a job action immediately if taken away:
1up1down
wash-up
guaranteed 40hr week
no age discrimination
1:20

the State will probably continue to nickel and dime us and add-on whatever they can get away with, but I highly doubt they would ever touch the above.. and if they did I think you would finally get your revolution, in all it's glory.
Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next