Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
nysut merger? federal lifeguard funding? brass balls?
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests
Post nysut merger? federal lifeguard funding? brass balls? Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 pm
hey roon dude...you should of been at wbho mainstand sunday 7pm we got a visit from president donovan himself...he would of answered all your questions...THE GOVERNMENT IS PARALYZED...

donovan said i was just a big baby...wants me to rally the troops aka the guards...give suggestions...put feelers out...so i did...and again i will...
hand shakes agreements suck,
turn the states screws so they can influence the courts,
strike...full blown, tomorrow
not fill out the post-season paperwork, last day labor day...
contact the press,
not take ot...
open wings at the sea wall...what more can i do...all these suggestions were shot down...so what now...

hey jim rumor is the guards at reese park just got money issued to them by the federal government inorder to keep guards on more...if this is true i will blow my stack...can we try to get a hard copy of the article...you history buff you...
santiago
Post It's not working Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:12 pm
We were told that we would have a deal by July 4th. Well, It's July 30th, no deal.!! So let's see what happens next year? Gas is $4 a gallon. Food is up 10%. Lifeguards down 18%. What is wrong with this? More rescues, longer hours, less pay. GOOD JOB BOYS!!!
Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:36 am
Great Job Santiago!

Keep making that POINT, We've been without a Contract since NYSCOPBA settled the Law Enforcement contract in 2007. NYSCOPBA included us in their initial 1999-2002 contract in an addendum, but the 2003-2007 contract completely cut out Lifeguards, NO RAISES, NO RETRO, and no ADDENDUM.

As they say in LABOR circles we're working without a written contract, and while Bruce assured us NYSUT is working on getting the merger signed; we've all gone back to work at the same pay rate we had in 2002 ( 6 years with-out a raise!).

As we all read in the news Jones Beach and all the other beaches on Long Island are having out toughest summer in years. Drownings, Riptides, crowds, hot sunny weather, and heavy surf have combined to really show the public what lifeguarding is all about!

The shirts and the black marker are making the point.

When are Tommy Donovan and Bruce Mierowitz going to authorize a written UNION history from the recently released "Roy Lester" union records? I hear Matt Linbom and Cary Epstein are working on it. Any idea on when it will be released? Do they need any help?

I put together a Union History of our original Union SEIU local 381 that was led by Union president Lawrence J. Byrne. Those records were stored out in Detroit at Wayne University in the Walter Ruether Library, and are available to any researcher. It covers 1963 through the strike year of 1971. The information got very hazy about the Winter of 1971-1972 when Jay Lieberfarb met with Council 82 and helped get us all into the Prison guard Union.

Roy Lester was guarding the union records from our time with Coucil 82 1972-1998, and our recent history with NYSCOPBA 1999-2008. Who were on the Executive Boards from 1972 till the present one. It would be nice to see who has lead us through the years, and what gains we've achieved. When did we last have a written contract? Does Jimmy Dirico remember?

When are those records going to be available to the membership? Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:21 am, edited 9 times in total.
Post free silk screening at wbho... Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:56 pm
now now boys...so im back trying to motivate some guards...
listen the eb is working hard and so are the guards...let me remind you without contract...so my response...
no lifeguard contract since 2001 - t shirts...
they look great!!!
the operation is at wbho mainstand...just bring a blue lg t shirt and then you get a free no contract t-shirt...tell all your friends...
santiago
Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 pm
The shirts look geat! Nice Job! Come on everyone, come down and get your very own. It only takes 2 minutes (your shirt may smell like paint) and maybe people will notice. I GOT MINE!
Post a total of 13 shirts... Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 pm
pretty sad only 13 people who care...
we had one guard from f2 and one from field six...
come on down...im a 945 manana
santiago
Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:28 am
I will be down for my shirt tomorrow! Do I need to bring my own shirt and cigarette?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:30 pm
Tom;
Maybe Bruce can get NYSUT to spring for a real Screen and t-shirt INK? Though I do think the Santiago look has a more gritty "we're ready to strike!" feel. Sort of like it was in 1971 : Lifeguards WANT A RAISE & RETRO; and we're ready to STRIKE to get it! Working for 8 years without a raise wouldn't fly anywhere. What's NYSUT say?
What's the Bruce Mierowitz shirt for 2008?
Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:46 pm
Santiago, Matt , and anyone else on the WBHO crew that thought this up,
GREAT IDEA!!!!! Way to Motivate.
Now that it has the endorsement of Tom Donovan, Our Union President, I will be coming by, and I think so will MANY others.
Who Knows ??? Maybe this will not attract any attention, but I think quite posibly it will. I think this has the opportunity to give this "lack of Contract" situation A LOT of VISIBILITY. I just hope/request that the Tom, and the rest of the Executive Board get out in front of this. Kindly prepare All Stewards and the members of corps as to what needs to be said, and by whom.
Based on all the various NY Beach tragedies and Shark 'events' that have occurred recently, the media might jump on this. And if it does, we need to know what to say (or not say) , and whom to direct the conversation toward. If we are lucky enough to generate attention, then the comments that are made to the media need to be on point, and unified. And we need to fall in line.
Great Job by the Executive Board, Stewards and the Union Participants that stepped up in many ways this past year. It's been too damn long since we moved forward as ONE. But that is EXACTLY what seems to be going on. Overal Union member morale seems to be HIGH. THIS is what is needed for progress to be made.
Our EB seems to be a great blend of Lifeguards, with different amounts of beach tenure, who are getting it done, on many fronts.

It is noticed and appreciated!!!!!!!
Post very important... Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:58 pm
that is huge...the support of a new guard...and team may mean more than one...thanks fischers...and they are right...we got noticed...wso...has been very unhappy...sending memos to gorman...calling meiro...things are moving...

let me tell you...i personally made dono the shirt...that just shows you im not nuts...
we dont need a leader...we dont need instruction...and i dont need smoke up the ass...

we need to stand up for what is right and no respect for seven years while we drag people out of the h2o left and right...risking our lives...please...
we need to move and if nysut is willing to support us great if not we move anyway...

i contacted newsday and the times this week...however just like many of the guards on the corp...
they dont want to hear from me...they want to hear the shark story and the deaths...and they want to hear strike...or no story...

how many state guards were interviewed this week and no mention of the contract...

if enough guards call newsday maybe we can get a story...

how about tuesday at the BRA meeting we get those phones we used for the decert cards back in april to have guards call the press...400 guards calling newsday wont be pretty...

the fischers are correct we should have the eb...use rooneys history to compile a timeline of FACTS...so we are well prepared...some one on the eb get on that...it should allready be done...time to go...

no shirts on stands..."no contract" on arms...black marker...
arm bands...
santiago
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic