Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Union Update 3/20/08 VOTE – TODAY – AND MAIL IT!
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests
Post Union Update 3/20/08 VOTE – TODAY – AND MAIL IT! Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 pm
Greetings fellow lifeguards, and welcome to Spring!

Two weeks ago I wrote to you, the members of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps, advising the necessity for a “A Call To Action” .

Today, you need to respond to that call for action.

An historic agreement has been reached between NYSCOPBA, NYSUT, COUNCIL 82 & GOER. That agreement would allow us to finally leave NYSCOPBA and join the NYSUT family, as part of UUP.

NYSCOPBA has decided not to sign the agreement until they can “poll” all the NYS lifeguards to find out if we really want to decertify and move to the UUP.

NYSCOPBA has sent letters of explanation and a “poll” or vote choice. They have also included a stamped return envelope for your convenience.

These must be returned to NYSCOPBA by Friday, April 4th. Given the reputation of snail mail, it is advised that you immediately respond.

Please VOTE to leave NYSCOPBA and join UUP.

Put it in the nearest mailbox ASAP!

I am advising each Beach Representative to contact everyone at their beach, advising them to
VOTE – TODAY – AND MAIL IT!

I am a advising all lifeguards to contact at least two lifeguards advising them to

We have been struggling for years to get real representation, a real contract and a proper financial compensation package. NYSCOPBA has done nothing to help us attain these goals.

Now you have a real opportunity to do something for yourselves and the future Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps members.

Do not let this opportunity pass by. It is up to you to help yourself – Do It!

Your Beach Representatives and Executive Boards have worked for years to get to this point. We have all worked without any compensation, on our own time to make your job the best it can be. Now you must step up to support our efforts.

I know you will support our goals and efforts 100%.

Yours in Solidarity,

Tom Donovan
President, Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps Last edited by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post IMPORTANT CORRECTION - VOTE THE SECOND BOX, NOT THE YES BOX Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:21 am
Jones Beach Lifeguard Members,

When I alerted you to the NYSCOPBA ballot arriving via mail, I had not actually seen one. I advised all to vote yes. Yes to leave NYSCOPBA. The intent is still to leave NYSCOPBA and move on to the State University Professional Services Unit, represented by UUP. The ballot is cleverly worded so that using the word YES, would mean you wish to stay with NYSCOPBA.

PLEASE LOOK AT THE SAMPLE BALLOT BELOW. NOTE THAT THE SECOND OPTION IS WHAT WE NEED YOU TO CHECK!!

VOTE TO LEAVE NYSCOPBA, BY CHECKING THE SECOND BOX!

I hope this clarifies this confusing situation.

Please mark only one box and return this card in the provided envelope no later than April 4, 2008

__ Yes, I would like to remain in the Security Services Unit, represented by NYSCOPBA.

__ I would prefer to be in the State University Professional Services Unit, represented by UUP.

Signature This card must be received back by the close of business April 4, 2008.

Tom Donovan Last edited by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:12 am
I still have not received a ballot in the mail. What should I do.

EVERYONE VOTE TO GET OUT OF NYSCOPBA!!!!

ON TO NYSUT UNDER UUP!!!!!!

IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU VOTE TO LEAVE NYSCOPBA!!!!
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic