Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Letter to the Editor
Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests
Post Letter to the Editor Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:29 am
August 12th, 2007

Dear Fellow Lifeguards:

Once again Roy Lester has used his position as editor of the Bucket and Buoy in order to further his own agenda and verbally attack a fellow lifeguard. In the August 5th edition, Roy declares that the constitution does not possess a means to remove a "rogue" shop steward. To further his point he refers to an incident in which I was required to discipline a lifeguard. Although the matter was initially handled within our complex, it became necessary to involve management. Roy stated that a "good Captain should control his crew without having to run to management to punish them". While I agree that a good Captain should maintain control of his crew, I also feel that a competent leader should know when to involve others in any disciplinary action. In addition, Roy states that my crew no longer wishes for me to be their shop steward. Unfortunately, Roy knows nothing about how I run my beach. On busy days I have my full compliment of lifeguards sitting. As an added safety measure I have kayak patrols manned by lifeguards on their off hour. Each guard will spend approximately 20 minutes of their down time on the kayak. I take the public's safety very seriously. Perhaps more so than those who are so quick to attack my credentials. Yet, Roy did not mention any of these things.

In true Roy Lester style he has quickly formed on of his biased opinions regarding an issue without knowing all the facts. As always in any situation, the manner in which Roy would deal with any matter is the "right way". It is unfortunate that even after years of mismanaging and isolating our union he still writes with the same arrogance that has left our Corp in one of its weakest positions in history.

I am sure that Roy has not polled all the members of my facility with regards to whom they want to be their shop steward and does not know all the details of the disciplinary issue that took place. Unfortunately, although he is no longer an active lifeguard, not on the Executive Board, and has done damage to the Corps that will take years to repair, we are still being fed his lies. As a long time Jones Beach Lifeguard, a Captain and a concerned union member I ask all of you to read with caution what Roy continues to pass off as fact. He clearly has no problem manipulating any information in his desperate attempt to maintain any sign of power over us. These upcoming elections hopefully will breathe new life into the Corps and help end the lies and deception.

Jim Yodice
Captain, Jones Beach
Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic