Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Things to think about
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests
Post Things to think about Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:56 pm
I had mentioned these before:
2) If Roy is not working right now (and good for him for standing up to the swim suit ruling), then should he even be writing the B & B?

3) I also say that if you are on the Executive Board or if you are a shop steward and you are not working that year, then there should be a special election for somebody to take your place for that year. Does anyone agree and can a rule for this be placed into our Constitution?
Now to add a further point...I think Roy Lester, in the latest issue of the B&B syas that he is still the Chief negotiator. Again, and nothing personal against Roy, why is still in this job if he is not working right now. That is why there needs to be an amendment put into the constitution like the one I mentioned above or a different amendment to fill someones spot if they do not come back.

Not working due to injury but still watching out
Tony Vertuccio
Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:16 pm
Tony;
While I agree with you, there are many lifeguards who feel we are so lucky to have Roy Lester devote his time and efforts to the "cause" and the "Union". I think alot of those people really aren't aware of "What a Union really is", and many only know" What a union is" based on what they've read in the many issues of the Bucket and Bouy that they have read. Roy Lester has been writing that "Rag" for almost 30 years, maybe he should step aside and let someone else do it?
As Roy stated in this past issue of his "Rag", he's been the longest serving member of this Union, Local 2744, that was formed in 1972 when we first went into the Prison guards and Council 82 AFL-CIO. We've been missrepresented since the 1980's when Roy Lester took over the reigns from the earlier Linahan led Executive Board.
In the 25 years that Roy Lester has been involved with the Union it has been marked with secrecy, propaganda, and decertification. His efforts to decertify began in the 1980's, and have continued through the 1990's into the current century. He has promised to lead us to an independant Union, but we are still waiting for that Day.
Maybe Roy Lester doesn't know what he is doing? He had 5 years to serve as our Chief Sector Steward, and he proved he wasn't up to the Task, and was replaced by Tim Forsythe. All we've ever heard from Roy Lester is excuses, if he's such a skilled negotiator "Where is our contract, and where are our Pay Raises and Retro-pay?"
You're absolutely right We should as a group immediately replace Roy Lester as Chief negotiator and put anyone in his place. I would nominate Bruce Meirowitz as a start since he has experiance as a school teacher and member of NYSUT, but the bottom line is anyone is better than Roy Lester. Roy has Alienated the members of Parks management, the Water Safety office, NYSCOPBA, and many of the senior Captains and lifeguards at the Beach. What good is a negotiator that no one will talk to?
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic