Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Beach Representative meeting 7/11/7
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests
Post Beach Representative meeting 7/11/7 Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:15 am
Good meeting tonight. We kept on track until the end. It was great having some new reps there. I like the new direction, but be careful!! When there is so much frustration, it may lead you in a direction that you did not intend. We only have a few weeks until new elections, hang in, there will be change.

I hoped you liked the new Constitution. It was a lot of work, but we only had our (JBLC) interests in mind when we made changes. If you read it as a stand-alone document, you will see that it provides not only direction, but methods to improve! The JBLC was at the heart of our attemts to create a new guide for the future.

Yours,

Tom Donovan
Post constitution Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:38 pm
Tom,

I had to leave a bit early but I heard most of the update that Mark and you presented. I must say your commitment to this process is unrivaled. Mark and you did a great job in preparing and presenting this updated version. I can only speak for myself at this time but I would like to thank you for the work that you, mMark and the committee did on this project.

This should surely provide a good framework for us to follow in the future

-Ron Roaldsen
Post the big question... Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:36 pm
yes i agree...the goal was reached...the best part...it is written with the interest of the MEMBERS...US...we are the JBLC...not the EB and not our union...the guards out at montauk, orient, wildwood, SM, hecksher...they also are the CORP...
another great thing about the three guys that took the free time to write it up...they are all honest...you can trust them...it is something to be said...they did not need some fancy lawyer to help...

the meeting was kinda sour from the begining...number one why the hell is lieberfarb there...can anyone answer that...who invites him...next...we should have been told NYSUT was going to be there...we should have been told NYSUT is representing JBLC and taking NYSCOBPA to court...get this...for free...my shopsteward never asked me how i felt about that important topic...

i would have liked to talk to the two gentlemen without roy or bruce there...which brings me to my next question cause it is so obvious...get ready...just a question...

if NYSUT's lawyer are working on salary(for free)...which means...i believe...they can take any complaint to court...with ease...could they be representing the lifeguards associated with the racial case...the speed suit case...maybe the case regarding a lifeguard who was reassigned to another beach...this age discrimination case that i only recently heard about...

so my question...is our big push to join NYSUT because of these lawsuits...

tommy d...i know you just read this so i expect some answers...
regards...keep up the good work men...
santiago
Post Back room deals!! Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:31 pm
I think a major problem is that no matter what people say there continue to be back room meetings and decisions going on. Who decided that the JBLC would be filing a lawsuit with NYSUT as our representation. Although I am glad to see progress being made, it continues to be a select few making decisions that affect all of the lifeguards. At our previous meeting it seemed as if we were finally going to move forward in a distinguished and honest way and when the shop stewards show up we are blindsided by a new agenda for the meeting. It seems as if a few people knew what was going on and the rest were again left out in the dark.

It is important that we make decisions as a group and when we reach a consensus we stick to the plan.

Again let me make this clear, I am not against what is going on but I am very concerned about how the decision to move forward with a lawsuit was reached.

If anyone can explain how or who decided on this coarse of action that would be much appreciated. I think we should all be aware of these critical decisions and who exactly is making them.

-Ron Roaldsen
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic