Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Pay Rates and NYSCOPBA dues
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests
Post Pay Rates and NYSCOPBA dues Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:03 pm
I was just going through my financial records and thought I'd post a little chart on actual pay scales and union dues for a basic Lifeguard;

This is just for lifeguard 2, starting lifeguards make less unless they take the promotion to boatswain in their second year like many do.

1999: LG rate- $12.11 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $15.50 per pay
2000: LG rate- $13.25 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $15.50 per pay
2001: LG rate- $14.63 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $17.00 per pay
2002: LG rate- $15.14 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $17.59 per pay
2003: LG rate- $15.14 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $17.59 per pay
2004: LG rate- $15.14 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $17.59 per pay
2005: LG rate- $15.14 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $17.59 per pay
2006: LG rate- $15.14 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $17.59 per pay
2007: LG rate- $15.14 per hr ; NYSCOPBA dues- $17.59 per pay

While we're definitely getting screwed by not getting a raise, the bright side is our union dues haven't gone up either!

I was trying to figure out the actual cost per member for NYSCOPBA dues. At $17.59 per pay it works out to approximately $35.18 to work pre-season, $ 105.54 for the full-opening to labor day crowd, and $35.18 for post season. If you work the full season with pre and post you pay a whopping $175.90, and that's the same wether your a lifeguard making $15.15 an hour or a Captain making $25 an hour, and it's also the same wether you're a full time lifeguard or a partime lifeguard making alot less money. Maybe the seniority committee should look at that, and base your seniority on just how much you contribute financially toward your union dues. Maybe how many pay periods you work, not how many days you work?

Collectively we really are contributing some serious money toward NYSCOPBA, but for the 17 who needed NYSCOPBA representation to save their jobs I'm sure that $175.90 was a real deal. Hopefully we'll be hearing good news from PERB soon, meanwhile we're in an Election year. Beach representatives were elected last weekend and petitions are due on July 16th for the upcoming Executive Board positions. I've allready seen several petitions making the rounds and have heard rumor of several others. Shop Stewards meeting on the 11th of July! Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:29 pm
Yeah I agree. We probably give NYSCOPBA 70000 dollars a year.
Post Pay Raise Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:35 pm
IF TODAY WAS NOT A DAY WE ALL EARNED A PAY RAISE I DON'T KNOW WHEN WE WILL!!
Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:13 am
Ron;
Hopefully a raise in pay is just around the corner retroactively. In 2000 we got a $1.14 raise, and in 2001 a $1.38 raise, with a 51 cent raise in 2002. Has anybody spoken to any of the other localities on Long Island to poll their pay scales? What do the guards at Gilgo make? Long Beach? TOBAY? Cedar Beach? or Town of Hempstead?
Friday I was out at Robert Moses and they had nice crowds and Big surf, it was a good thing the water was pretty cold. I read a nice write-up in the Central Mall shack on one of their busy rescue days. It was nice to read some good observations on ocean rescues that were made to educate the new ocean rookies. Veteran guards passing on their knowledge is what this job has always been about.
Regards; Rooney
Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:43 am
Does anyone have current rates for Boatswains, ( I think $17.10 an hour), Lieutenants, or Captains, and LG 1?
Post Town of Babylon Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:09 pm
Admin
other local rates - big difference.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:16 pm
Can anyone out there amongst us use his or her connections to get other municipalities Lifeguard contracts and pay scales? I find the Town of Babylon pay scales rather interesting, and based on those we're falling behind in the Pay Department.

What is the New York city pay scale? Do they get longevity? How many steps do they have? Do they accrue paid sick leave? Holiday pay? Vacation leave?

Instead of assuming we have the best deal out there let's all do our homework and see how the other municipalities handle their lifesaving work force. Town of Hempstead, National Seashore, Town of Islip, Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County, City of New York, Town of East Hampton. This information would be very helpfull to let us know if we're being justly compensated for our services. Feel free to offer your thoughts on the matter.

At the last Executive Board / Beach Representative BRA meeting sheets of paper were sent out for us to put Wish Lists of what we'd like at our beaches. It would really help to see how other Beaches are run. Jones Beach has been around for 80 years, The State of New York should be leading the way in Beach operations at one of the busyiest ocean front facilities. Let's start documenting what we have, Staffing numbers, pay rates, equipment, etc.
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic