Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
NYSCOPBA MOU and retro-pay
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests
Post NYSCOPBA MOU and retro-pay Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:47 pm
I've heard some questions being asked concerning retro pay and the recent NYSCOPBA MOU or memorandum of understanding for Law Enforcement. I hope something comes out soon in either the Bucket and Bouy or the "offical" JBLC website. Another option would be to contact your Chief Sector Steward Tim Forsythe yourself as a NYSCOPBA dues paying member. Tim is located on Staten Island and is in charge of the 1,200 lifeguards employed by New York State and represented by NYSCOPBA. I have allready contacted Keith Zulko by e-mail and am waiting his response. Tim Forsythe can be reached at either (718)981-1072 or (201)213-6209. He's been very helpfull in the past explaining our position in Law Enforcement. It would be good for us as members to have him determine how the recent MOU will effect our pay scales as well as retroactive pay for the past 5 years. I had forwarded the #'s to Mark Davy to make the call, so if your at RM #5 you can ask him. Last edited by Guest on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted in Mall Shack Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:05 pm
Admin
This was posted in the Mall Shack - not sure how accurate it is...

Image Last edited by Admin on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post NYSCOPBA Negotiations Info Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 pm
Admin
NYSCOPBA Negotiations Info...

Post from NYSCOPBA VP Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:48 pm
Admin
Forwarded From: "Keith D. Zulko" <kzulkoelvp05@yahoo.com>

James,

I am sorry to inform you that this MOU does not include any lifeguard in NYSCOPBA because of you leader in the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corp. Mr. Roy Lester. He filed a petition with PERB (Public Emplyees Relation Board) to break away from NYSCOPBA. At this moment PERB has ruled that the "Jones Beach Lifeguard Corp." may continue to try and fragment away from NYSCOPBA and in the meantime we (NYSCOPBA) can not negotiate anything including raises for any NYS Lifeguard. NYSCOPBA disagrees with Mr. Lester and his 5 other Jones Beach Lifeguards and we are fighting to keep you all. At this time PERB does not have a full board in place for us to work with. I am very sorry that you and your fellow lifeguards are going through this and that you have been kept in the dark from your own fellow lifeguards, but we are trying to resolve this issue for all lifeguards. Just think, you work at Jones Beach where Mr. Lester works and you along with several hundred other lifeguards have no idea what they are doing, just imagin the lifeguards in the rest of the state are going through? They have no idea who Mr. Lester is, let along the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corp.!!! For years now, Mr. Lester has been trying to form his own union, this goes back in the days when we were all members of C-82. C-82 years ago tried to cut a deal with CSEA to take the Lifeguards and CSEA said no. What does that tell you about the AFLCIO affiliated unions? We in NYSCOPBA want you to stay as members, we do not want you to leave us and we have told PERB this on several occations. So if you do not like what is going on with you and your fellow lifeguards, take a stand and let Mr. Roy Lester & PERB know this.

Respectfully
Keith D. Zulko, Law Enforcement Vice-President
NYSCOPBA

----- Original Message ----
From: "jrooney@suffolk.lib.ny.us" <jrooney@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
To: Keith D. Zulko <kzulkoelvp05@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 4:33:59 PM
Subject: Recent MOA for NYSCOPBA Law Enforcement

Keith;
My name is James Rooney, and I've been a lifeguard since 1979 with
the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps. I was wondering if you could let me know
how the recent MOA will affect our pay. Will we be getting any raises as
seasonal workers? I noticed the $800 lump sum in 2003 only is for Full
Time workers. Does the 2.75, 3, and 3 % raises affect our hourly pay? Feel
free to e-mail me or call me at my cell phone # (516)443-7005. Will my
sector steward Tim Forsythe know the answers to my questions?
Yours in solidarity; James Rooney
Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:21 pm
hey rooney...and all others...i thought the meeting went pretty well last night...like i said last night...out with the old and in with the new...
i was thinking...is there anyway we can print the response from kieth in the BB...or anyway we can get it out to everyone...
this website is great but unfortunately many of the lifeguards still have never heard of freejblc.net???
which brings me to my next question...i understand that perb is not together or up and running to negotiate with us...so maybe it is possible not to leave nyscopa get our raise then we move to nysit...like i said last night they are willing to communicate with me and you...which shows they are understanding...but they obviously have issues with roy and his five lifeguards...not really a shock...
in fact i bet...we could tell nyscopa or kieth that we will take care of their problems(roy and his five lgs)...in exchange for our deserving retro and raises...
let me know and i really feel very good having donovan, cornacchia and others stepping up to get r' done...even to see kofod and donny cambell was great...ok dude...
santiago...
Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:16 am
Santiago;
It's easy enough to just make copies of the response and post them in the shacks. I can send Roy Lester my letter for printing in "his" Rag, but I know somehow the Truth will be twisted and We will all be written up as "unloyal" union-busting lifeguards. To answer your other question; there is no way we can negotiate our own raises, PERB needs to decide where we'll be placed, and till they do we are in NYSCOPBA wether we like it or not, and NYSCOPBA will be taking out dues untill that decision is made.
What we should do immediately is remove the "Bucket & Bouy" from Roy Lester's hands. His minions Steve Levy and Bob Adler are writing it and putting in their propaganda. I heard Steve and Roy were writing last weeks issue at the party for Jay Lieberfarb. I guess Jay was proofreading it along with Bob Lenti.
If we put the Bucket & Bouy back in the lifeguards hands: as in Dennis Kane it's original editor, we could probably get funding from NYSCOPBA and at least show something for all the dues we pay?
Either way I do see change right around the corner. I was excited to see some young faces attending the meeting, and I think Adam Kofad made a very good point saying we need to prioritize. I think pay raises are at the Top, and I think we are placing too much emphasis on the constitution. We don't need to read it daily as if it's the NY Times. Who actually reads the constitution of the United States? You do expect the president and our Government to follow it though!
Steve Levy said to Adam, these are special times and likened them to "Times of War" . Steve Levy WAKE UP! The country is at WAR, but the beach isn't. Making comparisons to WAR makes us look like a joke. Much like posing in a picture for an article in the NY Times with Jay Lieberfarb and Roy Lester. What did you achieve? I'm still waiting to hear the status of Jay's anti semitism case? Was it silently dropped, or is it still moving through the courts?
Keep up the good work and spread the word on the beaches where the true lifeguards do their job!
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic