Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
June 13th Shop Stewards meeting
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests
Post June 13th Shop Stewards meeting Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:48 am
Interesting meeting last Night: Alot was done, the biggest accomplishment was Elections will be held the first weekend of August for all Executive Board positions. We will also have votes on various ammendments, the biggest one being "Having the newly elected officers take office immediately", as the Constitution says they don't take office till October having a two month "lame duck" period. Roy Lester noted that when Paul Lundwall defeated him in the late 1980's he waived that clause of the Constitution and let Paul take office immediately. Nice job Roy!

We also had Jay Lieberfarb attending the meeting as a guest, and he informed us he is no longer acting as our treasurer. It was discussed that Roy Lester will contact Bob Lenti and have him formally resign as he is no longer working and hasn't acted in the role of president all Winter. I hope Bob is feeling better with all his serious health problems. Let's all say a prayer for Bob Lenti.

Currently the Executive Board consists of 7 members, Steve Levy and Bob Adler are filling the vice-president shoes, who is first or second is inconsequential as the Both are very similar in both disposition and personality, "Carry on the fight Boys!"

Our secretary is Roy Lester, even though he hasn't been allowed to take the test since the rehire at Nassau Community College. He is refusing to swim unless he can use his "jammers" go Roy! He will bring this issue to the courts if it's the last thing he does, We all commend him for his effort.

The Trustees are Cary Epstein at Jones Beach, maintaining our "official" website at <http://www.jblifeguard.org>, Jimmy Dirico at Robert Moses, Chris Rogers at East End, and Bruce Mierowitz as Trustee at Large. I suggested these 7 members meet as a group and appoint 2 active members of the CORPS to fill the vacant spots left by Lieberfarb and Lenti, but that idea wasn't acted on.

The election of Beach representatives or Shop Stewards will begin full opening weekend June 23rd and 24th. It is vital for the current Shop Stewards at each facility to personally notify each member of his crew that if they're interested in running state your intention. Each facilty will need to select a Shop Steward and two alternates by the June 30th July 1st weekend. If there are two people interested in the position an election should be conducted during the June 30-July1st weekend. The fields can then fill in the 3 spots and sign attesting to who they have representing them . This will settle the question of who represents each field.

July 16th is the date petitions are due for the August elections, as Roy Lester noted the process begins now, if you intend to run begin getting your signatures, don't wait till the last minute. Remember all 9 positions are up for election. Let's begin to decide who is interested in running, and plan your campaign. Now is the time to "Step up to the Plate" and participate in the process of self government. Our future is in your hands, don't be shy.

One exciting aspect of the meeting was when Jay Lieberfarb made a moving speech about Roy Lester and how much he's done for us. He held in his hands that historic first contract that was signed back in 1972. Why isn't this contract scanned and posted on Cary Epsteins "Official" website for every member of this Union to see? Would anyone else out there enjoy seeing it and who signed it? What exactly is a written contract? What did it give us officially in writing? When did we lose this? I think these are all valid points that should be answered. The only current Executive Board member that has served that far back would be Roy Lester. Roy; would it be possible to have this put in the next Bucket and Bouy? If not could it be scanned and placed on Cary's website for all to see?

I think another member of the CORPS who should recieve alot of Thanks is Mike Defina for maintaining this FREE JBLC Forum, and providing a place where members of the CORPS can share important information with each other. While the Bucket and Bouy comes out every sunday, this website is available to all active members 24 X 7. Spread the word "An informed Union is a Powerful Union." Yours in Solidarity.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:46 pm
After speaking with Jim, I agreed to make some additions and minor clarifications here.

1) Shop Stewards Elections are to be held at each facility on June 30 and July 1. The period from 6/23 to 29 is for notifying your crew you are running for Steward or Alternate. 6/23 obviously is "full opening", and every crew member needs to be afforded the opportunity and privilege of running and voting.

2) Tom Donovan will be forwarding a form to you. It certifies that each crew officially elected their Steward and Alternates. Even if someone runs unopposed, the process has to be adhered to. It is imperative that both the election and the certification be done, and done correctly. In the past, challenges have been brought to our meetings, stating that some Stewards weren't "officially" elected. For reasons too lengthy to describe here, the casual approach of the past has to be done away with.

The Stewards will be running the Executive Board Elections. Per our Constitution, they will be held the first weekend of August. That's why their election precedes the EB election. They need time to get the process moving. It's a LOT of work, so help them out.

3) Roy promised to obtain Bob Lenti's resignation. The President's position is effectively empty now, and the line of succession was reviewed. Steve Levy was correctly identified as the person who will be Acting President upon receipt of Bob's resignation.

4) To be nominated for an Executive Board position, you must obtain a petition with 20 signatures of JBLC lifeguards. The period for obtaining those signatures is now open, and will close at the end of the day on July 16th. Campaigning is also open now.

5) The next scheduled SS mtg. is July 18. Petitions will be reviewed, and the election in its entirety will be organized. It's a BIG job, so try to get those petitions to your Steward well before the deadline.

6) Along with electing EB members, changes to our Consitution will be voted on. Please review the document, and forward any ideas to your Steward. It also contains the specific instructions for petitions.

7) We have already reviewed several possible changes. For example, we are considering splitting the Secretary position in two. The Recording Secretary would deal with the Minutes, etc., And the Corresponding Secretary would deal with the Bucket and Buoy. There's plenty of work for each position, and affords the opportunity for more people to get involved. That's the sort of thing we will be voting on.
Post negotiator Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:22 pm
Dennis,
I don't like the idea of having a chief negotiator, but if that is the way that the shop stews and executive board plan to continue working- we must elect or nominate one in an open forum. I also like the idea of cheif negotiator not being an executive board member. That position should be an appointed member. Not a shop stew or e-board member. That way the official titles can spend a majority of their time doing official duties.

Also committe members should be posted. The membership should know who is on each committee. And the committees should also post a schedule of meetings, minutes of official decisions,.....
Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:05 pm
Frank, I would welcome further discussion on the issue of Chief Negotiator. I haven't given it any thought. If we are to amend the Constitution, fleshing out the plusses and minuses is the first step. Let's hear what the Corps has to say.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:58 am
According to our Constitution the Executive Board should be planning a General Membership meeting prior to July 1st. Also I assume Bob Lenti has passed on to Steve Levy the duty to present to the membership the Annual report. Maybe Steve Levy and Bob Adler could work on that together, and provide it by the General Membership meeting. I know Bob Adler has been doing alot, but this would be a required duty as per the Constitution.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:27 pm
Being a stickler for rules --- it should be noted that it was pointed out that any changes in the constituitonal election process, shall be voted upon by the general assembly - including the change that elections will take effect immediately. No problem there. It was also noted that runnning any type of voting was a big project. this doesn't change the fact that anything other that holding elections for vacancies within 14 days (during the season) is against the constitution. Also, immediate induction of a new exec. board (not OCT. stated in constitution) requires constitutional amendment to be voted on by the general assembly (every JBLC member).

I pointed this out specifically as well as others, and it was overlooked. We spent 2 hours arguing about methods and procedures that were already in effect VEBATIM directly from the constitution which clearly defines everything about this matter.

Anything other than an election withing 14 days for vacancies (which was also violated last summer) directly contracdicts the document we are obliged to uphold.

Also EX. Board posistions are to be held to take effect in October. I just want to let the membership know that reguardless of whether or not I personally agree with this, it is in violation of our rules.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:14 am
Can we get a clarification on who would succeed Bob Lenti on his resignation? I hope we get an answer in this weeks Bucket & Bouy as Roy Lester assured us he would be in contact with Bob Lenti ASAP. Dennis Kane mentions Steve Levy, but last weeks Bucket & Bouy mentions Bob Adler as the defacto president? Also if anyone speaks with Roy Lester let him know that Gregg Woods was made the Captain at the Central Mall not Kevin Woods, as was reported in a recent Bucket & Bouy, who is still Boatswain at WE 2. I would think Roy Lester would know that as Gregg was at Field #6 for a few years working with Roy. I guess it's easy to confuse those two Woods guys! Let's try to correct the mistake.
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic