Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Important Info...
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests
Post Important Info... Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:51 pm
Admin
From the Executive Board...

As I hope you are aware of, there have been numerous issues that needed to be addressed this winter concerning the JBLGC and the State. One of those being the swim suits worn at the rehire test. It is our position that we should be allowed to wear any suit we wish. This has ALWAYS been the case up until this year. The State has told us that under no circumstances will anyone be allowed to wear anything other than a State issued suit. It's not so much the suit issue, but the fact that they took it upon themselves to change the test without negotiating it with us. Any changes to our rehire test have ALWAYS been negotiated in good faith! This could lead to further changes, without any discussion between the State and our union.

At this point in time there is no job action planned, and I feel there WILL NOT be one in the foreseeable future over this issue. We hope to resolve this over next winter. In response to what the State is doing the following petition will be circulated at the rehire. The Executive Board and all the Shop Stewards strongly suggest you sign it. We not only want to let the State know that we object to what they have done, but also want it documented as well.

Regards, Cary

JONES BEACH LIFEGUARD CORPS

Linda Spahr, Esq.
Long Island State Park Commission
P.O Box 247
Babylon, NY 11702

Dear Ms. Spahr:

We the members of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps wish to inform you of our objection to the unilateral decision of management in changing our past practice of being able to wear any swim suit of a lifeguard’s choosing in taking a rehire swim.

It has been our practice for decades to negotiate every aspect and change of the rehire procedure. We believe that this unilateral change is an affront to our professionalism and dedication.

Sincerely yours,
Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:48 pm
Where these letters ever submitted? I guess with Linda Spahr History the issue is moot.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:56 pm
It was brought up at our recent Shop Stewards meeting that these letters are around, and efforts will be made to collect signatures at the CPR classes. Let's make an effort to have each and every lifeguard and officer sign these letters. At the recent meeting Roy Lester pointed out that this is just one more example of the apathy out there on the beach, and the fact that very few lifeguards are willing to make an effort to further our cause. While Roy has chosen the route of "getting it into the Courts", which is where attorneys enjoy being. Sort of like Lifeguards enjoy being 'Back on the beach, with sand between their toes'. Let's take up the charge, and get this done on the beach. Bruce Meirowitz and Tom Donovan can be contacted at RM #5. I think it's feasable we can collect signatures of every lifeguard the first week of full opening, and submit the signed letters along with the Forms certifying your Beaches representatives. Let's show Roy Lester that the Apathetic attitudes are over. Do it on the beaches where lifeguards enjoy being, while Roy carries the fight to the Courts where attorney's are best suited to do Battle. We'll win this War on all fronts!
Post collecting at CPR classes? Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:34 pm
Jim,

No signatures will be collected at CPR classes. No union business will be conducted at CPR classes. No anti- executive board stuff will be tolerated at CPR classes. No anything but CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification will go on at the CPR classes. Anyone who can not adhere to this will be removed from class.

Last year members of our executive board made a complaint against the State Of New York that claimed I woud not allow lifeguards to gain CPR/AED certification unless they signed membership cards for NYSCOPBA. This was not true. Cards were handed out by individuals at some classes and some participants handed cards in to some individuals at the classes. But the cards were never connected to the classes and/or receiving CPR/AED recertification. The persons who pressed the charges were aware of this and still named me as one of the people who were committing this aleged act to our membership.

I had to go to the rubber room to be questioned by the Water Safety Office. I had to see other Jones Beach administrators to discuss the events. I had to talk to our NYSCOPBA law enforcement president to discuss the cherges. I was asked to give information to GOER and NYSCOPBA and State lawyers prior to a court date. I still do not know what might happen if the State finds I was responsible for harrassinfg our membership during CPR/AEDF classes.

Our Executive Board assured me in October and in May that the charges were dropped, but the questions still continue from State , GOER, NYSCOPBA and other officials.

I don't want to get anyone confused at the classes. They are re-certification classes. We will spend three hours making sure that everyone passes the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer Review class and that they can be certified to work as Lifeguards for the JBLC. That is all that ever went on and that is all that ever will. Any person who breaks these rules will be removed.

So, once agin I state clearly--NOTHING BUT CPR/AED WILL GO ON AT THESE CLASSES--
Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:45 pm
Frank;
I'm just reporting what was brought up at the Shop Stewards meeting, they mentioned getting the signatures there. I think it's a much better idea getting the signatures on the beach. The last thing we need is another lawsuit or improper practice procedure being brought onto our members. I'm glad this issue was brought to light before another debacle occured like last year. This is just another example of getting the information out to the CORPS. I know Bob Lenti said at last years General membership meeting that lines of communication will be opened, but Bob Lenti is no longer on the Beach. The weekly Bucket & Bouy isn't doing it, so hopefully we'll be able to keep everybody informed via the internet.
Thanks again for taking on the monumental task of DOING CPR for the CORPS;
You're the BEST Frank Salino - always Stepping up to the PLATE!
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic