Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Shop Steward's Meeting Last Wed
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests
Post Shop Steward's Meeting Last Wed Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:59 pm
Bruce Meirowitz
To all members of Shop Steward's and the Governing Board of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps.

My last E-Mail started with an apology.
I said we needed to move forward and I would like to offer what I should have said at the meeting.

1. I applaud and support the work energy and dedication of everyone that was present and will be in the future.

2. Decisions that are made can always be reviewed and if needed, changed.

3. In my opinion the following is present: We are in a period of anger with management, fear, distrust, and ultimate concern about our future. We have this incredible internal feeling to REACT, it's what we do. We are Lifeguards, we respond quickly and aggressively, it's in our blood. But sometimes we wait, think and see if the suck is going to get larger and be a rescue, or go away. The feeling of solidarity and strength in a Union is like an adrenalin rush no discussion. The observance of a breakdown in that, and a polarization within the union is catastrophic to it's present, and most of all to it's future.

4. I believe in order to have a successful job action because that is what this is you need 100% support and total communication with ALL PARTIES INVOLVED first before you make the move. It's like running a rescue without blowing your whistle and having no backup.

5. The major mistake I will take full credit for last year was supporting an edict from the EX BD to the membership was DO NOT COMMUNICATE TO THE WATER SAFETY OFFICE this was a disaster to the board, the officers and the membership. It put us into a total breakdown within.

6. WE need to think hard if this move is right or if it is needed now or do we wait and see what this meeting is about and if the attendees don't like it we walk. I have spoken with Linda Spar about the meeting seeking INFORMATION before I act. I told her if this is a set up I would stand up and walk out. She initiated this meeting as a recommendation from lifeguards that we are aware that you can not formally meet with the union because NYSCOPBA has chosen to enforce the TAYLOR LAW which clearly states that she can only meet with the official bargaining agent NYSCOPBA.
We have boxed ourselves in a corner. We all supported the chance to get out on our own and to do that our legal council said avoid NYSCOPBA representation at all cost and meet on any level you can to get through this summer, because by next summer we will be out and representing ourselves. So the State says lets talk under these guidelines and for us to say no only on our terms ties her hands and causes a breakdown in our troops.

7. I also know from experience any job action that separates a small group to stick their necks out for the large group will fail especially if you have not even consulted with them yet.

8. I already know that we have a disagreement in the EX BD and I have heard from officers that are torn between the ruling of the shop stewards and what they believe is the right thing to do. Shop steward's should call their immediate officers now and find out their feelings and their support.

9. My strategy is: we go to the meeting, we respect the fact that we have a new boss, we give the benefit of our doubt, we listen, we discuss, we report, we inform our members and if she does fuck with the corps, trust me you wont need to look for support. That is how you PLAN a successful job action. I ask shop stewards to read this and respond. A bad move now will be critical, I know I have done a few myself.

As a member I request a review of the matter, better COMMUNICATION from our shop steward's to our captains and Lieutenants before we Order them on a path, that if they disagree, will be branded as RATS. IS this the time and this action right? is all I ask.
If we can't have a meeting, then the EX bd needs to hear the results of your inquiry.
LEADERSHIP of 478 people is a tough job, it must be done right. I only ask you to reconsider and communicate with those you represent.

Thanks for the time you took to read this... If I kept may ass at the meeting and did not get wrapped up with Hirten I would have shared this. For the record I was informed that he did call NYSUT with a complaint. I have already E_Mailed them with a heads up to avoid future problem with you no who.

yours on responsible solidarity
Bruce
Post It's not a Union.....it's a group of thugs! Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 pm
I would like to take this time to recap and inform all of the members of the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corp. of what happened on Wednesday, April 18, 2007.
A “shop steward's” meeting was called by our “executive board”. Upon my arrival, as the shop steward for the East Bath House Pool, I was informed that I was not welcome to be at this meeting although I was representing the East Bath House Pool.
The meeting started with a member of the “executive board” who interrogated my presence there and tried to intimidate me to leave. I was told very clearly that this is not a shop steward's meeting....it is a meeting of an association or a group of people who are not representing the lifeguard corp. Therefore, they are able to select and determine who may be present. (So remember this, any decisions or policies that are made at this meeting are part of an outlaw group that is not representing the lifeguard corp.)
At one point this meeting got so aggressive and out of hand that it reminded me of the Salem Witch Hunts or the Old West. One of the members at this meeting decided to pick up a chair and throw it at me. It is very obvious that this group is hell-bent on having a negative relationship with the State. Why? I don’t know....for 98% of our lifeguards, it’s a great job. For the few who have their own agenda, obviously, it’s not.
I spoke with John Coverdale, the Long Island Director of the New York Teacher’s Association, who has graciously allowed us to meet in their offices. He was appalled by the lynch-mob mentality that has taken place in the union facility.
It’s time to move forward and have a relationship that is not filled with personal agendas.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:30 am
Bob Hirten;
Who was the interrogator? The member of the Executive Board who drove you away?
Regards; James Rooney
Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:30 am
Bob,
For many, many years the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps has been at odds with you. First because you crossed a picket line, then when you became a Co-ordinator, an expert witness against the State and JBLC, as an editorial writer in Newsday saying very unflattering things about the JBLC, and most recently as a returning lifeguard in officer status with a questionable (and against JBLC seniority rules) authorization letter. But now, and it seems every year since your return, you put yourself in harms way for some reason unknown to me.

You know that as a whole most of the membership hates you. You say you represent your facility as a shop steward. But how can you represent them when so much anger and so much distraction follows you into these forums and meetings. I would think you would want a person less infamous to represent your facility. I would think more legitimate business could be handled if less time were spent on YOU.

You claim to be looking for the union to move forward and behave professionally and you want to get rid of all the players with personal agendas. Those are all wonderful ideals that should be the wish of every union member. But each and every time that you insert yourself into the mix- that turns to poopie. If you really cared about this group of lifeguards- you would remove yourself from the mix, elect a less polarizing shop stew for your facility and let that person work with the other shop stewards and executive board so that we can move forward as a Corps and get things accomplished besides ranting and raving about YOU.

Bob, you do understand that nothing can be accomplished with you in the mix? and you must have figured out that each and every time that you show up to a meeting-it gets insane. Why insert yourself this way? There must be someone at your facility who can represent the needs of East Bath Pool besides you.
But I might be thinking about this the wrong way. Perhaps you keep getting in the middle of it because you want this violent reaction. Maybe you are actually counting on it causing so much chaos that you can threaten to take legal action or call Mr. Coverdale and try to sway him abgainst the JBLC. If this is the case then it makes more sense.

You don't really care about the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps and getting fair representation. You don't really care about the work that needs to be done this spring and during this very important transitional summer. You just want the chaos that surrounds you to taint everything.

Bob, am I close on my thinking? are you working against the JBLC better interests by sticking your opinion and person in harms way every spring? do you stir it up hoping we, as a Corps, will falter? Are you that ignorant of the effect you have on the Corps or do you just not care?

Remove yourself from the mix, get other representation for EBP at the shop steward meetings, give that representative a list of issues to address at the meetings,................. But, as I have said before-

SHUT UP AND GO AWAY
Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:41 pm
[size=18]Frank, I will never go away. BOB [/size][/b]
Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:33 pm
Lifer
When I chose the name Lifer I didn't even think about it. It was never intentionally ment to conceal my real name. Just because I spoke out against the EB's position on speed suits you decided to trace the IP addresses. Are you serious? Clearly this is not an atmosphere where people can discuss their views openly. All I am trying to do is put out some new ideas. The more we examine and issue the better. Bruce, I agree with everything you just said. Dialogue is truly important and we have literally backed ourselves into a corner. Playing the devil's advocate is important in some of these posts. It puts new ideas out there and requires us to examine an issue from all sides. It is my personal belief that our current leadership doesn't have this same philosophy. Frank, what makes you think that your views represent the Corp? It is this kind of thinking that has gotten us into trouble. Solidarity is very important for a union but like Bruce said we need to be on the same page and examine a number of different view points. Right now we are on the EB's page. Bruce, I hope to hear more from you in the forum. It is your style of open minded thinking that can improve our relationship with the state and help unify the corps. Frank, I respect your passion but right now we need level heads that aren't clouded by personal grudges with the state and other members of the Corp. Check the IP address on this computer if you are still investigating everyone who doesn't agree with you. It may just be possible that other people in the Corp might have different opinions. I hope to see more of them expressed.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:53 pm
Lifer,

I never traced your IP address, I would not even know how to. I was e-mailed that you and another lifeguard share an IP address- but I chose to leave that info alone. I don't care if you want to post in the open or hidden, that is a choice that you make and you seem to have your reasons-so be it.

You might also notice that I never attacked anyone with an opposing view. I only tried to inform LIFER, Lisa and others of what happened while I was a member of the executive board. What I stated was the truth and approximatley 15 people were in the room when it happened. LIFER chose to dismiss my statements because there was no written agreement.

I asked LIFER to ask the WATER SAFETY OFFICE and BOB HIRTEN the same questions, and ask why the state does not allow written agreements or official meeting minutes. These policies were in effect when Mr. Hirten was a WSO member and afterward when we had good relations with the state. (I say good, but it should probably read" better" because I am not sure the relationship was ever good).

I have had, during my 29 year lifeguard career a working relationship with all of the state officials except for Mr. Hirten. I worked closley with the WSO during my five year run as CPR guy. We had some problems along the way, but most were worked out in time. Most of the problems involved them making rule changes without negotiations. As I stated in another post- I would show them my meeting minutes and what I believed was agreed to and in all cases they agreed to follow the original deal. But the fact was, they tried to create unilateral and un-negotiated changes.

LIFER, I don't think my views represent the CORPS. But I know that they represent a larger majority than either Mr. Hirtens or yours. I know this from the feedback I get . MY head is very level. The State has not negotiated with this union or with any representatives from this CORPS for more than a year. Our current contract with the State, through NYSCOPBA requires that they negotiate in good faith. Until the State holds up their end of this very unfair contract, why would any of us give up any ground.

Members wore the Sharkskin suits for at least three years now-perhaps longer. They wore them last year. We have not negotiated any new terms for over a year. The Taylor laws that the state is using now to keep from negotiating in good faith require that they follow the last agreed to contract until a new one is settled. I did not hear that NYSCOPBA law enforcement unit had signed any contract with the state yet.

So, to wrap it all up- LIFER read what I posted to you-it was never bullying, was never name calling, was never antagonistic in any way-just posted my personal experiences and my belief that we must stick together as a unit during these very tough times.

My grudge with Mr. Hirten is different. I truly believe his personal agenda is the thing you need to watch for.

Why would a few guys wearing funny suits bother him so much?

Why does he keep quiet all winter then stir things up every spring-right before rehire ?

Why would he put himself in situations that he knows will create chaos ?

I believe he wants the corps to be splintered so he can gain. That is the history that I know of him, that is the experience I have had with him and that is the only reason I can figure that he would put himself in harms way-to agitate and cause unrest. I pray it does not work.

Mr. Hirten stated in a Newsday article a few years back that he just wants to work and be left alone-but he never will have that if he continues to put himself in the spotlight each and every pre-season. I will say again what I have said before to Mr. Hirten-
SHUT UP AND GO AWAY !!!

More can be accomplished without your fanning the flames. Other voices can be heard if we spend less time on Mr. Hirten. I too would like to hear more opinions from other voices in the union-but Mr. Hirten needs to remove himself from the fray to allow others to get heard. I was not at the Shop Stew meeting last week-but it is obvious that little was accomplished because Mr. Hirten was there to cause chaos. My passion for this job is well documented and my fear that individuals like Mr. Hirten might cause that job to be affected negatively are real, listen/read carefully-Then decide who speaks from a true love of this job and this Corps and who has personal agenda.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:06 pm
Frank, to answer one of your statements, in your 30+ years I don't think I have had more than five minutes of conversation with you. Therefore, all of your alleged statements regarding me, have no merit. In addition, everything you say starts with the word "I". "I" represents only yourself and is, therefore, limited to your opinion. Frank, leave it alone, sit on your wing stand, do your job as a lifeguard and leave the running of the beach to qualified officers like myself. Enjoy the summer.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:54 pm
Bob,

We can discuss what "Qualified" means at another time, but all of my statements (Most of my statements- a few times last year, on another forum, I wrote about a few rumors that I heard-but I did label them as rumor) have merit. My direct experiences with you were limited to about five minutes and for that I am grateful.

All the things that you did to the Corps during your time in Water Safety-are you claiming that they were positive, productive, and for the good of the Corps ?

Was your letter to Newsday to help the Corps, or to punish those who you disliked?

Was your testimony as a paid consultatnt against the State of New York (your prior and soon to be again employer) a positive thing for the Corps?

Was your gaining employment as an officer after a long unemployed spell (outside of our seniority rules) helpful to the Corps or has it caused much chaos and unrest ?

Was your trying to skip ahead on seniority because you started on a Friday and all the other new officers started on a Saturday good for the Corps ?

Was your crossing a picket line good for the Corps ?

Was your showing up at a shop stewards meeting-being kicked out and them returning-good for the Corps ?

Was your contacting John Coverdale from NYSUT to say how "thug like" some of our members were at this meeting, before our potential admittance into a strong negotiating unit- good for the Corps ?

Do you think because you have a position as an officer that you are now qualified to run the beach ?

Of course these questions are all based on information and experience of your tenure with the Corps and while away from it. Are any of thses events untrue Mr. Hirten ?

You did try to break up the union during your time as a co-ordinator

You did write a letter to Newsday

You were a paid consultant against the State and JBLC

You did return with a controversial letter

You did try to skip ahead in seniority because of a favorable scheduling aberation

You did work during a strike

You did return to an already heated meeting

You did complain to a NYSUT official (I teach his kids)

And lastly, with no slight meant to all the lifeguards who work in the pools or stillwater facilities-how long has it been since you even worked on a beach? Are you sure you have the experience and knowledge to run a beach ?

So, my opinion is that you are a very bad man, with an axe to grind, hatred in your heart and will do almost anything to get your way. I might be wrong-this is just my opinion. But you should leave it alone. And you should go sit on a wing stand and get some lifeguarding experience in before you state that you are qualified to run the beaches.

One more time I ask you to...SHUT UP AND GO AWAY
Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:24 pm
Frank, Thanks ,
You just made my point. What more can I say. KEEP PLAYING MY GAME. I will never go away.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:29 pm
Bob;
Why don't you do something constructive and give us a recap of the Captains and Lieutenants meeting. 3 hours long I'm sure there is some interesting information to give us. If your not going to go away why not make yourself usefull and give us your take on the current Administration. Who are the new members on Managements side. I hear Ron Harris is gone with no plans on replacing him.
What else can you Add; Rooney
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic