JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Speed suits?
Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests
Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:00 am
We have a standard, one minute and 20 seconds for a hundred yards in the pool after 10 years of service, and one minute and 15 seconds for guards up to 10 years of service. Add the run portion and I think we demonstrate to the World that Jones Beach lifeguards have a strong standard of fitness. Look at the pools through-out Long Island and you'll see most filled with guards training for the upcoming season. I don't think any other municipality on Long Island has the same high standards We have. Why look to fail our members? Why not look into the need of Captains even taking the re-hire test? I think they should look into strenghthening the supervisory role of our officer ranks to facilitate running the beach more efficiently. I hope next weeks Captains and Lieutenants meeting outlines the 2007 season, and moves toward the future improving the State Parks lifeguard system. How about bringing our Mainstands into the 20th century? I was recently out in Hawaii which has State of the art Lifeguard towers similar to California. In the age of Baywatch Jones Beach has the same lifeguard mainstands they were using in the 1930's. That's truly a disgrace, Phones that don't work, lifeguards soaking in the rain under canvass umbrellas, wearing old gear because the State can't seem to get the orders processed in a timely manner. I hear they've finally put a State employee solely in charge of Lifeguards, similar to the way it was back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Hopefully she'll be willing to get out on the beach and implement much needed improvements.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:27 pm
Jim, you're so right. Why should I, as a Captain, take a re-hire test. I should be allowed to come back to work every year just because I have that rank. In addition, you talk about all the other lifeguard municipalities.. Most of them, that I have observed, work 8 hours on the "Main Stand" without any break, so, therefore, our main stands are outdated, but yet, you only sit an hour up, an hour down. The reality is....we have a great deal....better than most.....hour up, hour down and no one bothers us. Do we reallly want to change this? Who's watching the watchman?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:42 am
while most other beaches have to sit more, they also have neccessary rescue eqipment such as emergency lifeguard trucks, jetskis, and quads. They also don't have the rediculous crowds of distingushed, high society new york city debutants that we guard everyday. We also don't have this equipment becuase grown men will screw around with the equipment and drive like assholes like we have seen a million times. i agree with what everyone else is is saying here, also. There are more importnat issues to be addressed.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:51 pm
Bob;
What other municipalities have you observed? New York City facilities such as Coney Island or Rockaway? Town beaches such as TOBAY, or Babylon? Other state facilities such as California State? City of Los Angeles or City & County of Honolulu? Maybe some of the Jersey shore communities, or Miami Beach?
How about this: build a state of the Art mainstand, and a state of the Art lifeguard shack, and provide state of the Art equipment, isn't that what they patrons of New York States premier beach deserve?
I think your having difficulty shedding your background, too many years in the Water Safety Office looking to cut services. Have you ever heard the term IGM? You don't think a lifeguard supervisor with 20-40 years experiance; maybe 10 people total ,don't deserve to maintain their job security by not taking the swim test? How about a rehire test for co-ordinators on Beach safety or management skills, or better yet People Skills?
Or maybe you think it was fair to force Ray Ross to take the boatswain position, then tell him you will personally watch him all summer long in order to write him up and get the pleasure of firing him after a stellar 30 plus year career?
Look forward to seeing you wednesday night at the Shop Stewards meeting;
James Rooney East Bathhouse
I can't really understand what your doing back in the CORPS, and I guess I can understand Frank Salino's response "Just GO AWAY!" Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:32 pm
Lifer
Regardless of how many years you are a lifeguard you should be required to take a rehire test. Experience is one thing but you have to remember that this is a physical job we do. A captain may be sitting the last sit with just two other guards and be required to pull a line or swim a line out to a patron. Job security is one thing but public safety is another. To strengthen officer positions we could do away with seniority and require them to take courses before being able to obtain the position. Just because your here for a while doesn't mean your going to necessarily be good at what you do. This way we could make sure they will be better managers of beaches. I agree with matt on the equipment. It would be great to have the latest technology. Unfortunately, it would probably be broken. I have seen the trucks we have already being driven recklessly down the beach for fun.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:17 am
How about increasing staffing, maybe have 4 guards on for the last shift, 3 working the stand and one supervising the crew? Short staffing the beaches to save pennies during last years airshow is a grave example of playing with the publics Lives! How about having the 4-5 officers teaching the crew how to use the equipment, and possibly disciplining the ones who destroy the equipment? I don't remember anyone damaging equipment purposely, but in big surf the rescue equipment is going to be damaged. Back in 1936 Tom Blake demonstrated his state of the art paddleboard and trained the lieutenants in it's use as well as the art of surfriding. These Lieutenants in turn passed the training on to thier crew. How do you do away with seniority and still have a fair system of promotion?
Post Not everyting is perfect Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:35 am
Being a good swimmer doesn't mean you will be a good lifeguard...being a good liferguard doesn't mean you will be a good officer and so on. Does the system need some tweaking? Maybe...maybe not but it is what we have right now and that is what we need to deal with! See ya'll at the rehire!!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:09 am
Fellow Lifeguards:
There is a Shop Stewards meeting tonight at the NYSUT Building in Jericho; 500 Broadway which is 106/107 just North of the LIE. It will start at 7 Pm and make sure your beach is represented. Let's have a big turnout so we get everyones input for the coming season. 2007 can be the Big season for the future of the JBLC, why wait for the rehire, let's meet now and plan for the future. New Executive Board elections are planned for this season. There is a Captains and Lieutenants meeting scheduled for April 24th, which is next tuesday. This winter has seen a real change in paricipation, we've allready had several Shop Stewards meetings.
Turn-out lifeguards & Participate!
James Rooney
East Bathhouse Ocean
Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:40 am
Bob; How was the meeting last night? Jim
Post Please talk to your shop stewards Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:27 am
Regarding your concerns on swimsuits for the rehire,

Please contact your shop steward; although your opinion is greatly appreciated it will be better heard and acted on by your beach representative. I think we all are unified as a lifeguard corp and Frank has duely pointed out that there is information that we may not be aware of and/or inform you may want to make your shop steward aware of.
I think we can agree that we all need to be on the same page and although it is very helpful to discuss certain topics on the forum. Some topics of sensitive nature and can effect our work conditions. I would suggest emailing each other and or using the phone directory. I can be reached at mad090@aol.com and will try to help out with any questions or suggestions.

Thanks for sticking together
Mark Davy
Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:33 pm
Mark;
I just heard Captains and lieutenants should contact the president Bob Lenti at <pbck2@aol.com> or (631)804-9066 for advice on the latest information regarding the tuesday night 7 PM April 24th, 2007 meeting between Linda Spar and the Captains & Lieutenants concerning the upcoming 2007 season.
Regards; Jim
Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:55 pm
Lifer
Any info on the shop stewards meeting? It would be great to get the minutes posted on the site for those who couldn't make it.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Lifer;
We're in "Stealth" mode currently CODE Orange moving toward CODE Red, you'll need to identify your true identity to your field's Shop Steward if indeed you are a real lifeguard. Information is being passed out through secure channels, as per Mark Davy's prior post. We'll only be dealing with known lifeguards not "moles" from the STATE. I heard at the meeting it was suggested that Lifer is really the former 1971 replacement lifeguard and Ex Co-Ordinator Bob Hirten. Bob denied this, but very good evidence was presented to show this could be true. It seems Lifer and Bob Hirten post from the same place, or IP as the techies call it. The first hour or so of the meeting addressed Bob Hirten's true reason for coming to the Meeting. Not a very pretty site from What I've heard, but what else is new when dealing with Bob Hirten. For over 30 years he really hasn't been a favorite amongst the CORPS.
Identify yourself LIFER, quite hiding behind a mask;
James Rooney
East Bathouse Ocean
Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3