Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
UNIFORMS
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests
Post UNIFORMS Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:36 pm
SPEAKING OF UNIFORMS - I WORKED FOR MONTHS MEETING WITH EXECUTIVES FROM THE SPEEDO CORPORATION, AND THE NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE GAVE CRAP ABOUT ALL THE WORK I HAD DONE. MOSTLY ALL I GOT WAS CRITICISM ON THE DEALS I NEGOTIATED ABOUT HOW EVERY WHOLESALE ORDER GETS THAT DISCOUNT (WHICH IS NOT TRUE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT). I ATTEMPTED TO PAVE THE WAY FOR STREAMLINED UNIFORMS YEAR AFTER YEAR, AND NO ONE REALLY CARED. I BROUGHT IT UP ON THE WEBSITES AND ALL I GOT WAS THAT EVERYONE WHO PLACES A LARGE WHOLESALE ORDER WILL RECIEVE THE SAME BENEFITS. I TRIED TO GET INFO TO MOVE IT ALONG, AND I WAS LEFT LOOKING LIKE AN INCOMPETENT FOOL TO THE SPEEDO CORPORATION BECUASE I KEPT HAVING TO GIVE THEM THE OLD EXECUTIVE BOARD SPECIAL:

"WE'RE WORKING ON IT. IT'S IN THE WORKS"

PS - TO BLAME THE EB FOR EVERYTHING IS NOT FAIR. EVERYONE IN THE JBLC SHOULD BE DEVOTED TO ADDING VALUE TO OUR GREAT FAMILY. THE EB IS PART OF THE JBLC, AND THEY STICK THEIR NECK OUT FOR PEOPLE, ALSO. THE LACK OF UNITY AND PERSONAL ATTACKS IS NOT GOOD. DISCUSSION IS GOOD. REMEMBER - BEING ON THE BOARD IS NOT EASY - PEOPLE WILL BLAME YOU FOR EVERYTHING. HOWEVER, WHEN THE MEMBERSHIP ASKS QUESTIONS -THEY SHOULD BE ANSWERED.

I STILL AM PURSUEING THIS AND IF ANYONE CARES ABOUT GETTING THE BEST EQUIPMENT IN THE WORLD FROM THE BEST SUPPLIER IN THE WORLD, LET ME KNOW. WHAT I REALLY NEED TO PROPOSE THE FINAL PLAN IS THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT ON UNIFORMS EACH YEAR. Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Post Uniforms Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:44 pm
Keep on pushing , Matt.
I, for one, DO CARE!
Post Uniforms Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:24 am
Matt,
I was on the uniform committee for the past few years and we worked very hard at getting uniforms that the membership wanted. I spoke to almost every lifeguard at Robert Moses and many at Sunken Meadow and a few at Heckscher and made a list of the features wanted by the guards. At that time we were to be getting the uniforms from Tommy Hilfiger. I gave the information to Ed Peters and he met with the Tommy folks. They made samples of the outerwear and the t-shirts. We were told that the Tommy colors had to be used (Red, White & Blue) and because of the time (just after 9/11) we felt that no one would mind the new patriotic color switch. We made changes to the design at that meeting because they left some stuff out and the snaps on the tear-away pants did not work. They sent us the new designs and drawings of the rest of the gear. It was pretty close to what we asked for and we got the uniforms that summer. Everyone got new uniforms !! Yippee!!
As is usual, some hated them, some loved them and some did'nt give a shit. Tommy never delivered the fleece pullover and pants but promised to include them in the next years stuff.
Of course that never worked out. Some reps from Tommy were at Jones Beach and spoke to some lifeguards who said the new equipment was the worst shit ever and Tommy ran into some finacial difficulties and we never saw any Tommy stuff again.
The next winter we made some more changes based on complaints and suggestions from the crew gathered by me and others and we were told that they would be made. The low bidder (South Shore Outdoor) won the bid and messed up badly. Many complaints and problems from the crew. Bob Adler, Cary Epstein and me met with the state and made our case that we needed the equipment that we asked for and no substitutions. We worked with Sue G. and Kevin C. from the state and Bob made contacts with a very old and well like supplier-now called "original lifeguard" but called "thousand mile" prior to that and had them create a version of what we wanted and they added it to their stock catalog so that we could sole source bid on the exact item that we asked for. You see, if it is a stock item that only one company makes we can avoid the bid system and get the stuff we want. But, if it is custom-anyone can bid on it and low $ wins.
Four years of asking the crew what did they want ? what features ? what materials? do you have a suit we could use as a model ? trunks, jams, suit ? cross back, polypro, lycra, nylon, lined, drawstring ? H2No, fleece, zipper or snap, hood or roll-up ? elastic leg or snaps, pull on or tear away, rain flap or no? I spoke to anyone that would listen and made a list that was put into action. Bob did the same on his end of the beach. Cary visited evry lifeguarding event he could, all over the world and took notes on what was good and what was cool and what company made it. We saw samples and tried on sizes, had guest female lifeguards of many shapes try the suits, found product that matched the requests and made the order. But they did not show up last year until very late and were never given out to anyone except Donald Trump. I don't know if you will like the new gear beacause we have not seen them yet. I pray that the corps like them because I worked very hard and I know that others did too to get what the corps wanted.
I replied to your posting last year and told you of the work put in by the committe. Gave you my contact information so that you might contact me and I could forward to you all the size requests and material needs. Speedo does not make a suit big enough for some of our lifeguards, would they make the sizes for our uniforms? They don't have the larger stock sizes, they don't offer surf trunks, outergear, fleece that meet the wishes from my research. Will they make these changes for us? Will they put these custom orders in a stock catalog so that the state can offer a sole source bid to them? will they meet or beat the prices from original lifeguard, nike, tyr, ocean? Because that is what is required to get the state to give the bid to speedo.
I know you worked hard to do good for the corps, and I can tell that you are passionate about getting good stuff to the membership. But it's not that easy. The state has rules, the corps is very mixed on what they want, the process takes way too much time to get samples in and make changes and get the orders out and product in before the season starts. We can't do anything before the state budget is passed. Most years it is passed very late in the spring. We have tried to get the State to order extra stuff. To have some for the next year and start a system that would be a year ahead. But they have not agreed to that and always are out of money before the year starts.
I hope that what Bob, Cary and myself did will be good for the corps. It took a long time and many, many meetings to get done and I have yet to see the new gear. I hope, no pray, that its good enough. But in the end I know what will happen- 1/3 of the corps will love it, 1/3 will hate it, and 1/3 won't give a fuck.
So, in conclusion, if you are still passionate about getting Speedo to be our supplier, ask them if they will make custom work part of the stock items they offer, if they will make sizes to fit our needs and if they will beat the prices set by the others who might bid on the same items. Then get to the Shop Stews, and the E-board and get on the equipment committee, (I know there is an open space because I have retired from that sort of stuff.) and good luck. To quote my least favorite president "It's hard work".
Matt, many people cared. Many worked long hours, gave up personal time, gym time, weekend time, time with family and pets. Many met with trhe State and fought to do the right thing. Many walked the beach on down hours to gather info for this task. Many had to hear about which company is the best and which company gives back to the enviroment, and which company has a cool logo. I was given a tour of all the female swimsuit issues (chafing is #1). I was told that the sizes have been wrong since .... Do you know that the debate between snaps and velcro is amazing emotional for some? But , to claim that nobody cares is bullshit. You never really became part of the system to help-only posted comments about all the work you did with speedo. Once more I am happy that you want to get involved and have done work to better the corps-now its time to get on the committee. Keep pushing, but do the research required to be effective and become part of the team.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:14 am
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the work everyone does, i didn't mean to single anyone out or blame. Getting uniforms is a huge pain in the butt. Everyone will never be happy, and it is frustrating to deal with the slow turtle speed of the system we are in as you are aware. It should be something that is so easy, but it is never easy at JB. I have done orders for hundreds of swimmers and teams, ect. I also got frustrated that everyone wasn't more excited than the few people who posted or contacted me during the summer. I almost gave up and said screw it because I felt only like 10 people cared about it. You're right that I didn't put in the info properly to the right people. Also, many Lifeguards have hissie fits when people disagree, and can't promote calm discussion on the issues. I thank you for your honest and tactful reply. I don't want any enemies. Actually, I was just gunna scrap the whole plan once summer began because I didn't get the positive response that I expected. Also, I feel that lots of people just think I am blowing smoke, and people thinking I don't know what I am talking about. I was a competitive swimmer (speedo sponsors free suits for making national meets), my old team was sponsored by speedo, and I worked for a speedo supplier years ago. I sent out orders for literally thousands of items. It just makes me crazy how something so easy is made to be so difficult. Also, Last summer was crazy for me - I went PT and had 2 other jobs so I know I wasn't around much. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

THANK YOU --- every single solitary aspect of what you just stated I discussed as problems with my meetings with the executives from SPEEDO. When I met with them last winter in a meeting JUST FOR THE JBLC THAT I SET UP. These SPEEDO execs. came from Michigan and New Jersey, by the way. The great thing about what I am trying to create here is that everyone will be able to customize their own order individually. SPEEDO produces the best quality as well as selection. As for the point about sizes, styles, ect. Speedo produces far more sizes, styles and products than displayed in catalogs or websites. They are a worldwide corporation that manufactures unlimited products. Most people don't understand the nature or potential of the deal I intend to close. It is revolutionarty. SPEEDO operates under a parent company that encompasses numerous clothing and swimwear manufacturers. Whether it be drag suit, board shorts, elastic shorts, girls bikini, one piece, jackets, pants. Its all the best, and they have everything.

This is in no way made to blame any one person but a few questions:
1. How many out of 500 LGs know there is a uniform committiee?
2. How many people have seen a committee report as required by the constitution?
3. When was any one informed of the report as deemed so to be distributed in Article XII Section 2 Line 2 of the constituion.

I work at a cardiology research and rehabilitation center. When People blatanly disreguard rules and procedures, people die and get fired. At Jones Beach, we are under a union system, designed by welfare-do-nothing-hate-our-troops-entitlement-giving liberals where people can screw up repeatedly year after year without any consequesces. Maybe if people put in as much work to the corps such as the people who have posted on this forum and work hard on committees and such, we wouoldn't have to defend retards who have been f***ing up for years and years. That effort could be saved for people that really get the shaft for no reason. It's no wonder that the "office" hates us. We are the biggest bunch of babies ever sometimes. We are outraged by everything. We are worse than Cindy Sheehan and Nancy Pelosi. Do your job - plus MORE. No one ever got ahead in life by doing the minimun, as so many LGs love to claim that they do - the minimum.

Remember: While it may take years, sweat, and blood, what I am trying to accomplish is to develop a mutually beneficial sponsorship between JBLC and SPEEDO. Just "buying" uniforms every year hasn't benefitted anyone. When someone says - this suit is bad, or these boardies pockets soak up water, we have had no one to complain too. The blame goes on the poor lifeguards who spent thier own personal time to get good uniforms all winter. Just wait until the next year is all we can do. Companies develop sponsorships for their own alternative benefits, not just to sell products. They not only advertise, but they get a free focused research group. Once a relationship is developed, we can't lose. Some will see this as a dream that could never happen under NYS Parks. If that is true, i guess my privates will continue to fall out the legs of my drag suit and be exposed to the public when I go on rescues. JK

THE BOTTOM LINE FOR NEGOTIATION WITH NYS:

1. I UNDERSTAND THE BIDDING SYSTEM - NYS IS CHEAP - FAIR ENOUGH. MY ULTIMATE PLAN IS TO BYPASS THE BID SYSTEM BECUASE MY PLAN WILL BE A "SPONSORSHIP". THE PLAN WILL INCLUDE A MULTIPLE YEAR CONTRACT THAT WILL SATISFY BOTH SPEEDO AND NYS PARKS AS WELL AS US OF COURSE.
2. IF SPEEDO AGREES TO SUPPLY AND SPONSOR US FOR A PRICE THAT NYS PARKS ALREADY HAS PAID IN RECENT YEARS FOR UNIFORMS WE ARE IN BUSINESS.
3. ONCE WE ARE IN, THE PLAN IS TO HAVE A DIRECT ORDERING SYSTEM THROUGH MULTIPLE SPEEDO SUPPLIERS IN THE NORTHEAST. SPEEDO WILL NOT SCREW UP MAJOR ORDERS AND LEAVE A 200 LB GUY LIKE ME WITH A 30 DRAG SUIT, LIKE WHAT HAPPENS SO MUCH.
4. ORDER WILL BE PLACED MONTHS AHEAD OF TIME WITH SUPPLIERS WHO CAN HANDLE THE LOAD EASILY AND TIMELY.
5. ORDERS WILL BE SOMEWHAT EXACT IN NUMBERS. SUPPLIERS WILL BE ON CALL WITH ANY CORRECTIONS. OBVIOUSLY NYS WILL HAVE TO STOCK SOME ITEMS AS WELL LIKE USUAL.
6.LIFEGUARDS WILL ALSO RECIEVE A MAJOR DISCOUNT TO PURCHASE THEIR OWN CUSTOM ATTIRE (2ND DRAG SUIT, CUSTOM "FIELD X" SWEATSHIRT, ECT.)

Just a side note: I find it amusing when lifeguards get in a tussie about all this politcal BS and get all pissy. It's hilarious how grown men can personally attack each other about a freakin job that pays 15$ per hour in the SUMMER. I really wish it would all end and everyone could just bring up points and discuss issues without names. None of my posts include any names or attacks. I just pose questions and opinions. Fighting lifeguards are funny, but not productive. Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Speedo Uniforms Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:19 am
Matt, thank you for all your hard work. I'm afraid Franks's "equation of thirds" is probably close to the truth. When the Speedo issue was brought to my attention, my reaction was "Is there a catalog I can look at?" I like Speedo, but would be very curious to SEE their lifeguard stuff, especially if it's custom for us. I think you'd get a whole lot more support if we could SEE something tangible, like a brochure. They could create that pretty quickly and put it online. Give me a link I can click on. It's not that people don't care. I for one just need to know more... Once again, thanks.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:55 am
Hey Matt

Thanks for your work. Unfortunately, there are a few people who decide that are "the uniform committee". I would suggest you be added a member or they show the courtesy to contact you. There a select few who have used the motto " they stepped up to the plate" to make individual decisions. I hope you come to the shop stewards meeting and let your concern be known.

I do not think this website is a great way to communicate. I agree we can't blame the executive board for everything. But the uniform situation has been a joke and then those who step up to the plate blame the state. I have offered to help as I worked for SUNY Stonybrook and had a problem with sponsorship. We worked it out although it took time and effort.

I hope you contact your shop steward or trustee representative and ask for assistance in this matter. If you want to email me personally feel free...mad090@yahoo.com or give me a call at 516 425 7891.

All the work is appreciated, again unfortunately, a few have decided to "step up" and make decisions without consulting the corp. I hope we start with better communication and reports from these committees.

Mark Davy
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:05 pm
i actually have been sent a brochure in the past few days. I have a file PDF I can send people if I have email adressess. I also have last seasons catalogs, and I will be recieving this seasons catalongs within days. Funny people should ask. I just spoke with someone at speedo yesterday. I will have more pcs or whatever when I get it. So if anyone needs the new brochure I recieved, I need to be able to foward it to adresses. Also - The 1/3 issue was discussed in my email. read it carefully. All major uniform problems are designed to be rectified if this plan ever goes through.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:17 am
Hey Matt
The Junior Program with over 200 children would like a sponsor like speedo. I am the one who orders all the uniforms . Let me know what you think? Even if you are not a fan of the program remember its for the kids.
Scott
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:12 am
Matt;
Sorry but the uniforms never came up at last nights Shop Stewards meeting. I had e-mailed Steve Levy the agenda item, but Steve Levy wasn't at the meeting and neither was Bob Lenti. The Executive Board didn't have the Agenda Steve was preparing printed up, and the meeting minutes from November were never completed for approval. They are working on correcting this situation, and Tom Donovan volunteered to handle minutes for this meeting.
The meeting lasted 3 hours so he had his work cut out for him, it was suggested that Jay Lieberfarb handle the meeting minutes as Roy Lester was handling all his duties as treasurer. Meetings are scheduled for February, March, April, and May so there will be opportunities to address uniforms in the future. Seems like your finally getting some feedback to your qestions from your fellow guards though which is commendable;
Regards; James Rooney
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:30 pm
dennis - I sent you the email - I couldn't figure out how to post A PDF here on the website. I already have last year's catalogs, if anyone wants to pick them up and see them. I also should be getting the new ones in about a week. I spoke with the my representitive yesterday. She said she could arrange for samples as well. That would require her to viist from NJ. Maybe in-season would be better for that? Anyone feel free to suggest or contact me here.

scott - I did speak with SPEEDO about the Jr.s from the begining of the project. I would, however, like to insure our Lifeguards and JBLC Comp Team the benefits first. If I am correct, companies have sponsored JRs with checks for the season. I am also not sure whether or not they pay for uniforms. Let me know the details.

Those kids are cool, I have coached like 50 of them in swimming for years all winter. I want all of us to reap benefits.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:50 pm
Hasn't Florida Power and Light donated $10,000 each of the last 3 years to sponsor the Junior Lifeguard program?
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:52 pm
Yes Jim
We were very lucky to have them sponsor the program the last 3 years. This is a new year and unless you know that they are giving some money to the program this year then I will stop looking for sponsors. If not pass the word we are always looking for sponsorship to help out with this tremendous program that started with 21 kids and now is capped out over 200.
Thanks Scott
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:50 am
Great Job Scott, Keep up the GOOD WORK!
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic