Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests
Post WHEN IS THE SHOP STEWARDS MEETING? Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:09 am
ANYONE HAVE A DATE AND TIME????
Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 am
Matt;
I feel the same way, I would have thought the Executive Board would have posted something by now. At least Post the Agenda Items so we will all be aware of what issues will be discussed and worked on. The original meeting held November 8th had a 17 point agenda, the Shop Stewards met and submitted an abbreviated 7 point agenda on the date of the meeting. I'm assuming the other 10 items will be on this months agenda, but Steve Levy has been silent on the point. Cary Epstein was asking for new agenda items recently.
Try contacting Steve Levy at <otcb.steve.levy@gmail.com> and see if he has an up to date Agenda for the meeting and possibly a tentative Meeting date. They are talking the second week in December which is next week. I'm not sure if any of the Executive Board members have signed up for this new Website. I got the impression that they might be Boycotting it.
I'll post any updates I find on the old website, but it seems very QUIET over there, Cary posted for photos and stories on Jones Beach Lifeguard rescue action. I recently spoke with former Jones Beach lifeguard John Hoogsteden. John moved out to Hawaii in 1987 and started working for the City & County of Honolulu. John currently has close to 20 years as a Hawaiin Lifeguard as is a Lieutenant on the North Shore patrolling Haleiwa, Waimea, Ehukai, and Sunset Beach. They are moving into their Winter Wave season seeing Waves of anywhere from six to 25 feet "hawaiin size" . The ASP Triple Crown series runs from Thanksgiving till Christmass and decides the pro Surfing World champion.
Hope all are enjoying the off-season; James Rooney
Post ss mtg. Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:07 pm
It's an idea that might require some getting used to, so work with me on this. The Shop Stewards decide when they want to get together. (I think that's why it's called the "Shop Steward's Meeting." )
We invite the EB to attend, not the other way around. They already meet independent of us, without us present. The stewards need to do the same.
If the two groups were closer philosophically, this need to act independently wouldn't be such a big deal. But there is that disconnect, and it forces the stewards to create and nurture their own group conscience.
Post Great idea Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:40 pm
Since the EB might be "boycotting this site" ( and I mean might be since that has not been proven), why can't the Shop Stewards meet on their own? I think that is a great idea, Dennis!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 pm
Well, Let's do it. The meetings are always dominated by the EB anyway. The meeting at Mulcahy's accomplished absolutely nothing. Questions were avoided, ect. Promises of better communication were not honored. In a way it is our own fault, because we, as a group that is, voted them in to the offices. I believe a membership meeting run by the general membership needs to be held. No more of this EB on a stage or sitting in front while people can't accomplish anything because the EB dominates the meeting on their own terms. They are supposed to represent us. That has not happened.

Who has a place to meet????

Let's do it.
Post hey all... Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:51 am
gentlemen...sounds like the wheels are in motion...
matt and dennis you guys are right on...i was tired of sitting like dogs with their choke chains around us too...
why dont you set up a meeting and not invite the EB...
i like this new site and the direction it is going in...
hope all is well and happy holidays...
santiago
Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:01 pm
Looks like it's allready friday December 15, 2006. No meeting date, no agenda posted. I think instead of rushing this process, let's plan the meeting in January and enjoy the Holidays and parties. It's more important to have full representation, and we'll need to have representatives from the missing beaches from last months meeting; Field #6 Jones Beach, Zachs Bay, West Bath pool, Orient, and Wildwood. The constitution committee is studying the past 1979 document identify areas for updating. Has anyone heard from the Executive Board?
Post No candy for you Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:39 pm
No Jim, no contact with the EB. But if you get a lump of coal in your Christmas stocking, you'll know where it came from. I agree that after the holidays is better, but THIS is where we always come to a grinding halt: date and place. So, first, Let's pick a date. Then we can ask for a place. I suggest we shoot for Thursday, Jan. 4, 2007. Just the stewards, no EB. I just checked ESPN, and there's no bowl games Thursday or Friday. Let's say... 7PM? There. Now we have a starting point. Next is the place. Come on, somebody who cares...
Post Meeting Update Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:53 pm
Last month, we were informed the next EB/SS meeting would be 1/18 at the NYSUT bldg. like last time. Bruce Meirowitz told Jim Rooney 1/11 that he couldn't get the NYSUT room for Thursday the 18th. He has booked that room for Wednesday the 17th. But the EB is still looking for a room for the 18th. So as of Friday the 12th, we don't know which day they want to meet. We have not been given a time. And we are still waiting for their agenda, which they promised to post well in advance.
Post Enough Waiting Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:39 pm
Enough waiting gentleman and ladies:
Just schedule your own meeting...have it at someones house or bar or restaurant...waiting for the EB to post an agenda is crazy!!! Why don't we put together our own agenda and e-mail it to the EB????
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:18 am
Tony;
I think we'll be handling future meetings this week. At the November meeting we agreed to meet in December. That date came and went with no meeting, but Cary Epstein implored the Executive Board at one of "their" meetings prior to the Holidays and set the January 18th date. I don't know why Bruce Mierowitz didn't call then to book the NYSUT hall. Prior to concluding next weeks meeting we'll pick the future meeting date and book the hall then. The question now is "What is the Agenda of business to be discussed. Steve Levy is the Executive Board member in charge of collecting agenda items, maybe someone can lead him by the hand to this FreeJBLC.net website so the membership can be informed. Posting the Agenda at least one week prior to the meeting I think is a reasonable request. What do the rest of the lifeguards think?
Yours in solidarity; James Rooney
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 pm
One week in advance is a good idea and I think that is enough time for everybody to peruse it. Asking Steve levy to check this website out might be a good idea but how about somebody just e-mailing him or calling him? Before we know it everybody, it will be
May and the re-hire test will be here!
Also I think it will be nice to here from our President. Has he posted on the old website at all? Has anybody heard from him?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:08 pm
I spoke too soon;

Cary Epstein has e-mailed all Shop Stewards friday @ 7 PM the following;

Meeting date changed from Thursday January 18th to Wednesday January 17th.

Time will be 7 PM and meeting hall will be the NYSUT hall as last meeting;

Jericho Atrium Bldg.
500 North Broadway
Jericho, NY

Agenda (subject to change)

Union Parks update

Old Business:
treasury report discussion
improper practice discussion

New Business:
Report of Constitution Committee
Report of Election Committee
Important 2007 dates
Dress Uniform discussion - eg for funerals or important events
Post Yeah Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:11 pm
Excellent...thanks for posting the agenda James! Can anybody attend these meetings or just the EB and the Shop Stewards?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:44 pm
Open to All Tony, last one had about 35 guards along with the Executive Board. Voting will be limited to the Current Shop Stewards or their representatives, but it can't hurt to attend and participate in the discussions as the results of any decisions will affect all of us. Look forward to seeing you there, and spread the word.
Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next