Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Contract?
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests
Post Contract? Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:32 am
James Rooney
Any news on where we are at with the contract negotiations?
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 pm
Tom Donovan
Peter Martineau spoke at length at our Beach Rep. meeting last Wednesday (4/13). I will summarize he comments in the near future.
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 am
James Rooney
That's awesome! Where do we stand? I noticed Council 82 just settled their contract from 2005. Does Peter think we will get a settlement soon? Look forward to reading your recap.
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:59 am
santiago
hey jimmy whats up with the summary?

i too would like to know where we are at with the contract negotiation...it has been a month since your post, hey...
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:24 pm
James Rooney
Yeah I know.......? The wait is still going on, but Tom and Bruce are busy hitting the pool and working on their rehire test times. Maybe they will have that recap by next week in Nassau CC pool? We'll see but it's not like they can print it in the B&B! I guess you can check with your Beach Rep?
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:37 pm
Tom Donovan
Here is the latest news regarding our salary negotiations.

The NYSLC has been in salary redress negotiations with GOER (Governor's Office of Employee Relations) for 2 years now. We did receive an offer from them in October. The offer was rejected outright by our negotiating team. The offer consisted of a small retro payment and no increase in salary. We now have a new governor in Albany and we have not only formally requested that GOER renew talks, but the UUP Political Action Team has met with the Governors Labor Counsel in an attempt to re-start the process.

A contract proposal was offered to Council 82, which did include a retro pay package from 2005 until 2007. (We are not the only group with outstanding raises). The contract was for 3 years and offered 0% raises and givebacks in sick time, plus increased contributions for health care.

The membership of Council 82 rejected the proposal 674 to 245. This sends a clear message to Governor Cuomo that poor contracts will not be accepted.

In addition to our financial proposal awaiting a reply from GOER, UUP's contract is due to expire in June. They will begin negotiations with Albany and whenever those talks result in an agreement, we will vote for that contract and, hopefully, future raises.

It is our hope, and we are still optimistic, that a settlement on our retro can be reached and that will increase our salary base, so that when the new UUP contract goes into effect we will benefit from our increases.

Peter Martineau will be attending our meeting this Wednesday (5/18) and will be able to give a further update. Last edited by Tom Donovan on Tue May 17, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:29 pm
santiago
thanks for the update TD
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 am
James Rooney
I was looking at the June 24th issue of The Chief, and there is an article in the 1,200 member ALES group of Council 82 and their 6 year outstanding contract. Very interesting to see how they fare in their negotiations and arbitration and Decertification quest. Their situation is similar to ours as we both are working under way overdue contracts.
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:35 pm
James Rooney
It looks like we are going to be out of luck addressing being left out of NYSCOPBA's contract from April 1,2003 through March 31,2007. Four seasons of pay raises and retroactive pay, but maybe we can get something in writing for April 1,2007 through March 31,2011? That could get us 5 years of pay raises and retro, and attempt to make up for those FOUR years of ZERO's.

Any thought's or feedback from our leaders?
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 pm
Tom Donovan
I far as I know, the 2003 to 2007 retro and pay raise issue is still on the table with GOER. When UUP's new contract is put to a vote we will be included in that. I still believe that GOER is waiting for that contract to be finalized before coming back to our situation. I think they will offer us a raise and retro that will be added to the contract. Peter Martineau will again be attending our meeting this Monday, Aug. 15th, 7:30pm at WBH meeting room. He will update us on our situation.
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 pm
santiago
hey so i was reading up on the contract and pay raise/retro, i am a bit confused about what rooney stated...

from what i understand we, the jblc, is looking to be compensated for the 2001-2011 seasons, but we are actually in a two step process? step one the 2001-2003 nyscopba season and then step two the 2004-2011 seasons?
from what i understand step two depends on the new uup contract which the jblc will be included in? both issues are sitting on the goer desk?

basically what i do understand is that GOER must have a big ass desk, with piles and piles of papers, sitting there for months and months. im guessing there is so much shit on the table, no one wants to deal with it. well what happens when the desk is so full of crap that it just crashes down into nothing?
can peter or anyone help me to understand?
can i get a picture of this "table/desk"?

thanks for the read
santiago
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:43 am
James Rooney
Santiago,
Our first contract with NYSCOPBA ran from April 1,1999 through March 31,2003; and we got pay raises for the 1999 through 2002 summer seasons. The next contract that NYSCOPBA settled ran from April 1,2003 through March 31,2007 and all the employees that NYSCOPBA represented got raises and retro except the Lifeguards. That was why we had the lawsuit against NYSCOPBA for failure to represent.
We dropped that lawsuit in January of 2009 in order to get into UUP and NYSUT and form our own group NYSLC. The contract that NYSCOPBA settled would have covered our 2003,2004,2005, and 2006 seasons. That seems to be up in the air as we dropped that lawsuit and the State of NY had settled a contract with NYSCOPBA.
The period from 2007,2008,2009,2010, and this season 2011 seem to be on the Table. I missed the August 15,2011 meeting so I am not up on Peter Martinau's latest update. Maybe Bruce Mierowitz can give us an update?
What's the deal with our Newsletter and Directory? Has Steve Levy issued any new newsletters?
Roon
Post Re: Contract? Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:18 pm
James Rooney
Another Interesting recent update; as of August 19th:

Is the Newly Formed Police Benevolent Association of New York State <http://wwwpbanys.org> which is another 1,200 member Union that has broken away from Council 82's control and formed their own bargaining Unit.

They had a Contract from April 1,2003 through March 31,2005, and turned down a Contract negotiated by Council 82 and had a successful Decertification campaign. They represent University Police, EnCon Police, Park Police, and Forest Rangers.

We still have them beat as to Outstanding Contracts, but it will be interesting to see How the State of New York handles them.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic