Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Register Login
JBLC Forum
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Emergency Meeting August 25th
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic

First unread post
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests
Post Emergency Meeting August 25th Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:27 am
Claudio Steel
Claudio will be holding an unofficial meeting at the WBH concession area.
Post Re: Emergency Meeting August 25th Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:00 pm
James Rooney
Say it ain't so Joe?
Post Re: Emergency Meeting August 25th Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 am
James Rooney
Hey I just heard the Wednesday August 25th meeting is NOT a sanctioned BRA event.

Who is calling it?

Did they get Water Safety Office approval to use the West Bath meeting room?

Great Flyer though! Last edited by James Rooney on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Re: Emergency Meeting August 25th Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:30 pm
Admin
August 23, 2010

Dear JBLC Members,

As the season of 2010 winds down, a number of union-related issues have been keeping us very busy.

Beach Closings: We have been working to insure that all lifeguards who wish to work continue to do so. Budgetary issues still remain, but right now all lifeguards will continue to work through Labor Day. I have not seen a post-Labor Day schedule, so I cannot comment on that yet. My primary goals have always been to have proper levels of staff at all fields, and to provide our lifeguards the opportunity to continue working.

2010 Lifeguard T-shirts are printed and ready to go. Tom Darnaud will set up shop in a central location, and a representative from each beach will need to personally pick up the T-Shirts. Every year, Tom does a great job with creating and distributing our T's, so please take the time to thank him.

Contract Negotiations: Our struggle to have our wages increased to proper levels continues. We are waiting word from GOER on the next step.

If we do not receive an offer in the next 2 weeks, we will conduct “informational picketing” at all bathing facilities on Sunday, September 5th.

All lifeguards should show up 1 hour early, and picket at their workplace prior to signing in. This will allow us to reach the greatest number of patrons - our biggest supporters - in a legal manner. The media will be notified of this action, and hopefully we will get some positive coverage of our efforts.

T-Shirts, placards and hand-outs will be made available for distribution on Wednesday, September 1st, at 7:00 PM, at the West Bath House upstairs meeting room. Please make arrangements to pick up your picketing information. For this picketing to be successful, we need the cooperation of all lifeguards. Show up, and let the public and Albany know that we have waited long enough.

Overtime: At our last BRA meeting on 8/11/10, under “New Business”, comments and statements were made regarding overtime. Questions were raised about whether we should / should not work OT, using OT as a political lever to assist in obtaining a new financial settlement with GOER.

At this point in the season, it is too late to use OT as an effective tool / strategy, and it could in fact be counter-productive.

Discussion at the BRA meeting revealed that many of our beaches and pools use different methods for scheduling extra time (OT). It varies beach to beach, officer to officer, as to method. I recently conducted an informal poll, by calling each Main Stand and asking the officer on duty (Captains, Lt.'s, and Bos’n’s) how OT affected scheduling wing stands. Most employ the "just get it done" method. This could include multiple hours for those scheduled in early, and / or 1 hour of extra time for those scheduled late.

This was the first time OT has been brought up at a meeting. We agreed to further discussion of this subject, and it is on the agenda for the next Beach Rep meeting, scheduled for September 15, at the NYSUT meeting room in Woodbury.

“One Up / One Down”: Evidently one of our members is trying to create the impression that a crisis is occurring regarding “hour up / hour down.” Please believe me that the concept of “1 up / 1 down” is not now in question, and has not been in question on any level. A flyer has been distributed accusing Vice President Bruce Meirowitz and myself of not supporting “1 up / 1 down”, and I find that quite offensive.

This individual seems to have an axe to grind, and has chosen to attack your Union leadership to attain his goals, whatever they are. I again reiterate that there is no issue with 1 up/ 1 down or OT, and hopefully the agenda-driven efforts of a few do not adversely affect the rest of us.
The meeting noted in the flyer in not a union-sanctioned meeting, and as such will not be held at the WBH dining room. Part of what we have done over the last few years is to obtain use of the meeting room for our official union functions, and this in not one.

Anyone can meet with fellow lifeguards to discuss issues, but we should always be careful to retain what rights and benefits we have. Spreading falsehoods is not a right, could cause the loss of rights, and should be rejected.

I will keep you posted about the progress of our upstate negotiations. I am confident that everyone will show up early on Sunday, September 5th for the informational picketing. It’s your contract and your wages. Help us help you.

See you at the beach,

Tom Donovan
President, Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
Post Re: Emergency Meeting August 25th Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:01 pm
Dennis Kane
Jim,
You heard correctly. It's Claudio's meeting. It is not a union meeting.

The WSO has no say in the use of the room. That comes from Sue Guliani. When she discovered that it was not a union meeting, Claudio's request for the room was refused.

The next union meeting will be Wednesday, Sept. 1 at 7:30 PM at WBH upstairs. We will be reviewing the Sunday Sept. 5 Rally. Placards etc. will be provided at this time.
Post Re: Emergency Meeting August 25th Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:10 pm
James Rooney
Claudio Steele;
I was hoping you would get back to me, but WHAT HAPPENED @ the Emergency Meeting?

I was hesitant to drive down there after not getting any more info here on the Forum, and finding out that the meeting wasn't BRA endorsed and Sue Guliani wasn't allowing the use of the West Bath meeting room.

I was glad to hear that current Executive Board members Cary Epstein and DJ Paulsen showed up, and former Executive Board members Jimmy 'Bulldog' Cash and Paul Lundwall and Steve Casey made an appearance.

Was anything important discussed?

Any conclusions?

Anything that can be SHARED with the membership?

Keep US informed on WHAT is going on!
Post Re: Emergency Meeting August 25th Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:30 pm
James Rooney
What Happened to the EYE POPPING Flyer?

That was a classic!

Can you do any of those for the UPCOMING contract &

PAY RAISE & RETRO picketting?

Maybe Have Governor Patterson bugging out?
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] Post new topic Post new topic   Reply to topic Reply to topic